• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

ROS all day hunts

So this is for all you ring of step guys. I just recently got a set up of a ring of steps from DanO (I actually have 4 with with another 2 coming in the mail soon to bring me to a total of 6 steps to complete the ring). Anyways what are your thoughts and tips on using the ROS for all day hunts? I plan on using my ROS platform this weekend for an all day sit and any info I can get from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Get a hybrid.

I have a predator platform that I use as well but I was gonna try out just the steps alone this time. I am leasing some property about an hour from my house so when I go out there I hunt the whole day. I sometimes get down and move somewhere else because the wind changes on me or something. But I’m usually in my tree 5 hours or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just finished day and half on WE step platforms which is similar. Tree was too small for Perch so used 3 steps against each other which covered ¾ of the tree diameter. Rotated between lean/sit and would shift weight L/R. Using rubber Muck boots and didn’t feel any pointed pressure from stand-offs but it’s rounded which helped. First time in saddle and all in wasn’t bad at all. Specific questions?

So this is for all you ring of step guys. I just recently got a set up of a ring of steps from DanO (I actually have 4 with with another 2 coming in the mail soon to bring me to a total of 6 steps to complete the ring). Anyways what are your thoughts and tips on using the ROS for all day hunts? I plan on using my ROS platform this weekend for an all day sit and any info I can get from you guys would be greatly appreciated.
I used my ameristep ROS exclusively for the first time last night. I can tell u that there is no way I could hunt all day with that. I ended up sitting most of the time because my feet hurt on them. I plan on my platform with the steps for a walk around

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I used my ameristep ROS exclusively for the first time last night. I can tell u that there is no way I could hunt all day with that. I ended up sitting most of the time because my feet hurt on them. I plan on my platform with the steps for a walk around

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking that is gonna be my problem as well. I’m gonna bring my platform along with me when I do. I gotta give it a try though.

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking that is gonna be my problem as well. I’m gonna bring my platform along with me when I do. I gotta give it a try though.

Make you a strap to go around your legs and connected, you will have to play with the length for different trees, and when your feet start to hurt just sit down and let the strap hold you off the tree! Or kneepads! Or just a pad to rest your knees on the tree! I use the strap!(lighter and easier to pack)

Make you a strap to go around your legs and connected, you will have to play with the length for different trees, and when your feet start to hurt just sit down and let the strap hold you off the tree! Or kneepads! Or just a pad to rest your knees on the tree! I use the strap!(lighter and easier to pack)

Thanks for the tip. I use knee pads but could you elaborate a little more about the strap please. If you have a pic of you using it that would be cool too. You peaked my interest.

Reactions: PJC
Thanks for the tip. I use knee pads but could you elaborate a little more about the strap please. If you have a pic of you using it that would be cool too. You peaked my interest.

For some reason I cannot upload photos on here but it is pretty simple just make a loop to go around your leg and button or you could stitch the loops and just slide them on! Then you have to decide how long you want it(decide what size tree will be the biggest and see how long you need it) or I have been thinking about making it adjustable for different sizes of trees! Hope that helps if not just ask and I will try to help! Sorry forgot to tell you after you size it you need the second loop for your other leg(this is the one I was thinking of making adjustable)!

For some reason I cannot upload photos on here but it is pretty simple just make a loop to go around your leg and button or you could stitch the loops and just slide them on! Then you have to decide how long you want it(decide what size tree will be the biggest and see how long you need it) or I have been thinking about making it adjustable for different sizes of trees! Hope that helps if not just ask and I will try to help! Sorry forgot to tell you after you size it you need the second loop for your other leg(this is the one I was thinking of making adjustable)!

So is the strap just keeping your legs from straddling tree while you sit?

I was thinking of a strap like that to hold me off the tree. How does it work for you? Do you have any pictures?

Send a picture to my phone. I’ll pm you my number.

I use squirrel steps ROS for all day sits with knee pads and rubber boots. Occasionally adjust my footing for comfort and alternate between sitting and leaning. Although it sounds comfortable, I wouldn't want my legs strapped in a contraption when a deer came in.

I have been doing some 4-5 hour hunts on carbon bolt ROS this season with regular hiking boots and it’s not that bad, but I sit about 75% of the time. I use a foam pad against the tree. I have tried to like knee pads, but just can’t. Even bought the Arcteryx pads. Might try the TL pads.

I use squirrel steps ROS for all day sits with knee pads and rubber boots. Occasionally adjust my footing for comfort and alternate between sitting and leaning. Although it sounds comfortable, I wouldn't want my legs strapped in a contraption when a deer came in.
it wide enough you can stand without a problem!

I was thinking of a strap like that to hold me off the tree. How does it work for you? Do you have any pictures?

It is not bad but I would like it adjustable and figure a way to make it easier to get on and off, like maybe buttons! I thought about Velcro but don't know if it will hold good enough!

The stiffer the sole of your boot, the better. You can also put 2 steps closer together on each side of the tree for more surface area while in your resting position. I just keep everything the same as a normal set up. It’s not unbearable.

I have been playing with this. Haven’t reached a conclusion yet. What steps are you using? Comfortwise, have you compared the Ameristeps with Squirrels? I run really thin soled boots.

I use ameristeps with sitdrag and Irish setter rpm boots. It hasn't ever been a problem, I straddle the tree ,sit, stand what ever, I prefer small trees. smaller than a basketball seem to be the most comfortable

Back