• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ros issues

jimbo

I one stick and use a ring of steps and I've always had issues with the steps not getting as tight as I want I've tried calling the strap 2 heck sometimes 3 times and still the want to turn sideways with side pressure now I've always just delt with it but I just got to wondering if I'm doing something wrong for reference I'm 6 foot 265 wear a size 12

What kind of strap are you using?? I run 4 in pairs about 4-6” from each other & have no issues getting them tight enough with an OCB

I'm using dano ocb strap and buckle with silent approach steps

I'm using dano ocb strap and buckle with silent approach steps
Gotcha, probably the step design then. Steps that have the strap below the step are prone to that. I’ll let some other folks that have silent approach steps chime in with a solution….

What type of trees are you on? On some oaks I had issues with mine, had to chip some bark away or use a ratchet strap and cinch it tight. Smooth bark trees never had the issue.

Right now I'm in a white oak but I I've had it do it to me on a plethora of trees but now that you mentioned it I think they have held better on smooth bark trees but I'm gonna pick up a ratchet strap and try it I've been wanting to get a set of squirrel steps once the money rolls in

I use bullman steps as well but I put mine on a ratchet. Needless to say they don’t move. I need to try an OCB sometime

Mine stay put nicely with an ocb. I diy'd some "cleats" to give a little bite on the tree. I posted pictures in a post elsewhere on this forum. They are Ameristeps. Before I modified them, they slipped all over the place.

My squirrel steps get pretty tight on an OCB. There’s a little wiggle to them but not enough to be a concern. The nice thing about them is with a slim profile, if you’re on a rough bark tree like an oak you just arrange the steps so they’re in the bark’s crevices and they sit way tighter to the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who's this Dano you all speak of? And where can I get his buckle? I use a ratchet with bullman steps which hold very tight, but the ratchet is heavy and cumbersome.

Thanks guys I just ordered squirrel steps they nest together a lot better so I think I'll like then better

Back