• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

ROS strap options

ThumbsMcGee

I have Silent Approach Steps just laying around and I have the idea that I want to try a ROS. I don’t want a noisy ratchet strap, what are my other options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Silent Approach Steps just laying around and I have the idea that I want to try a ROS. I don’t want a noisy ratchet strap, what are my other options?

i tried many options with my bullmans, and the ratchet was the most secure and stable option. the ocb wouldn't get them tight enough to prevent slipping down the tree. or sliding around the strap. just my opinion. however, the ocb was the next best option.

i tried many options with my bullmans, and the ratchet was the most secure and stable option. the ocb wouldn't get them tight enoug to prevent slipping down the tree. or sliding around the strap. just my opinion. however, the ocb was the next best option.

How loud is the ratchet actually? I find it ironic that they’re called “Silent Approach” but have a ratchet style strap.

How loud is the ratchet actually? I find it ironic that they’re called “Silent Approach” but have a ratchet style strap.

hahaha. great point! actually, i got to the point where only a few clicks of the ratchet were needed. i would thread it fairly tight, then just click it a few times to finish it off. it wasn't as bad as i thought it might be.

I use the ocb from DanO with 6 Bullman Silent Approach steps. If you get the strap tight and cam it over hard, they aren’t going anywhere.

I use the ocb from DanO with 6 Bullman Silent Approach steps. If you get the strap tight and cam it over hard, they aren’t going anywhere.

This is the strap I use

Ratchets can be quiet. That’s the only way I know to get the silent approach tight enough. There are several better options both new and used for a ring of steps.

The trick I’ve found to using an OCB with the Silent Approach steps is to do incremental tightening. I get them snug by hand around the tree then go through about 3 times of almost camming over the strap while pulling on the tag end. That way when I release the buckle my free hand is pulling the strap tight on the tag end. Usually after about three of these partial cam overs I’m good to go. Sometimes I have to fully cam over the buckle then loosen it and snug it up just a tad bit more.

The OCB can be tricky because you can get it too tight by hand and then can’t cam it over. There’s certainly a sweet spot and it greatly depends on the back on the tree.

Back