• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

ROS vs Platform and why ?

emerald ghost

SH Member
I tend to sit more and now trying to decide on which way to go.
I'd like to get feedback from you experienced saddle hunters and also ask that you share "why" you choose one over the other.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.

Used both last season. Scout on a stick and 2 steps on either side.

I’ve gone through the phases of each and the hybrid is probably where I’ll stay. I’ve done the mental gymnastics of thinking a platform will allow me to sit all day or ROS will allow me to hunt harder and make me a more efficient blah blah blah.

The requested “why” is at the end of the day, I’m not walking more than 2 miles and I’m sure as hell not sitting in a tree all day long. I do need additional footing for squirrelly shots hence the steps, and I find the slanted scout comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use both so I can hunt a large variety of trees. Not every tree will allow for travel around it. I’ve shot deer on my weak side by turning around on my platform and by walking around on my ros. It’s not really a comfort issue for me it’s about making sure I don’t miss a shot opportunity.

I used a ring of steps all last season (my first season saddle hunting) and really liked them. I used 7 Pioneer steps by Bullman Outdoors on an OCB strap from Eastern Woods Outdoors. The ring of steps is light weight and easy to use. I do sit most of the time so only about 10% of my weight is on the steps while I am just hanging out waiting for deer. I do have a cam over platform I made but I have not hunted off it.

Ring of steps are superior to a platform for moving around the tree wether to take a shot or more importantly using the tree to hide behind. I use a ring of steps 100% of the time but I also have two predator platforms. I hunt from presets on private I use screw in steps and on public climbing sticks with a strap on ring of steps (Cranford’s Saddle Scaffold). However, I wouldn’t use them for a hang and hunt way too much fiddle factor so that’s why I have the predator. I’m a sitter with my knees into the tree and when doing so only about 20% of my weight is on my feet so I don’t have any foot fatigue and I have sat 12 hours many times.

I got my first platform last year after probably 10 on a ROS. I stand alot during my shorter hunts, barely "sitting" at all.....closer to a "lean" so a platform has allowed the extra footroom I desired.
ROS is more packable and allows more mobility around large trees....leaning cherries or smaller scrub stuff....I prefer the platform.
I use both.

I tend to sit more and now trying to decide on which way to go.
I'd like to get feedback from you experienced saddle hunters and also ask that you share "why" you choose one over the other.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.
I like both and for different reasons. I will hunt off my EDP platform 95% of the time. Its small and light. However, because you can get a ROS for under $70 its a nice addition to have if you want to add them to the platform set up or use them on their own. I like them on their own if I am scouting my way to hunting. I don't do that often as I have a pretty good idea of where I am headed and why but there are days where I like to just go on an adventure and scouting my way in to a new area is fun.

I've bounced around between a ROS and a platform over the past few years. I've found some saddles lend themselves better to a platform than a ROS and vice versa. I think it's really the evaluation of your entire system/style that determines which platform you should go with. With my primary saddle (overwatch transformer), I'm more comfortable in a ROS. Unless I'm changing saddles anytime soon I'll probably stick with a ROS for the foreseeable future.

I hunt a mission platform. I also have size 14/15 boots. I tried my best to make a ROS work, but could never find anything that fit my foot and was comfortable for more than 30 minutes. The mission is great and rock solid for leaning off the side and getting a shot, or turning 180 and putting my back against the tree. Set my tether on my weak side shoulder and lean into it. I have killed a lot of deer coming from the direction they "shouldn't have". That is another reason I don't put much stock in the "play the wind" hunting and I am very vigilant in my scent control measures. Killed a bunch of deer directly downwind of me. I don't feel I could have killed on a ROS.

Platform on a stick FTW. Seriously tho I’ve tried many different types of RoS and a few different platforms. I always return to my Ridge Runner for a variety of reasons. I think it’s cuz I wear size 13s and steps just don’t offer enough purchase for my liking. Also, I’m not patient though to fiddle around with them on the tree and get them situated just so. I tend to lean more and find myself side loading them and they always shift on me no matter how tight I get them and yes I’ve tried all the tricks ie chipping bark off, ocb/cam/ratchet/amsteel/glue/bolts/voodoo/strong prayers etc. The only steps I liked were the HangN30s. But I always return to a platform. I don’t have a long hike in to my spots so the weight doesn’t bother me, and the way I have my pack set up it’s a non issue. My RR is very easy to deploy and bites hard into any tree I set it on. More than enough room and should I need to (which is often due to various back issues) I can stand on it and spin completely around and face away from the tree. The platform on a stick offers many of the same benefits but combines my climbing method and perch in one.

Platform on a stick. Been doing it for 3 seasons and haven’t seen the need to change it up.

I have tried a bunch of platforms and have used LW tree stands as platforms. I liked them but hard on my feet in rubber books. Not so bad in leather with hard soles. I have used an Ameristeps ring for many years and when one broke last year I replaced with Pioneer steps. Good solid ring. I recently got a Seeker platform and that thing is money. A little heavy but easy on the feet. I’ll be spending some time on that for a while.

i've never tried a ring of steps because i'm a leaner

i went off common sentiment here that a ring of steps is more for sitters

my platform also allows me to shift positions of legs subtly (put one foot up post top, etc)...not sure if it is as easy with ROS

i've never tried a ring of steps because i'm a leaner

i went off common sentiment here that a ring of steps is more for sitters

my platform also allows me to shift positions of legs subtly (put one foot up post top, etc)...not sure if it is as easy with ROS

That is a good observation raisins. Believe you just provided some good insight.

Back