• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

ROS vs Platform

What do you put your feet on?

• I only hunt with a ROS

Votes: 29 29.3%
  • I only hunt with a platform

Votes: 36 36.4%
  • I prefer a ROS, but will occasionally use a platform

Votes: 12 12.1%
  • I prefer a platform, but will occasionally use a ROS

Votes: 13 13.1%
  • I'm close to a 50/50 split

Votes: 9 9.1%

• Total voters

Nutterbuster

SH Member
I know my answer, but what's yours?

I personally strongly prefer a ring of steps (squirrel steps ftw!), but will occasionally break out a tree suit platform. I do think there is some value in having both options available.

I can hunt with either but prefer a platform that I can step on the back of like a perch or ridge runner to get all the way around the tree. I primarily lean instead of sit

I solely used a platform last year because I didnt have a ring of steps till the end of the season. Now I have squirrel steps with an ocb from dano. Them things are the bees knees. I sold my platforms and am just going woth the ROS. I sit about 90% of the time.

I’ve got a couple ring of steps and a couple platforms. I started with a platform and didn’t try a ring of steps until last year. I’m really liking a ring of steps. I have a hand climber and predator. I really want to like using the hand climber. Used as a climbing system the weight is great and it’s wide enough I don’t feel the crunch of having my feet so close together. It would easily work on 60 percent of the trees I hunt. The problem is I don’t always know what tree I will be in when leaving the truck.

Platform all the way. When we all discovered DIY platforms several years ago...it was an awesome upgrade for me. It made me much more comfortable. I used ROS exclusively from 2009 to probably 2015 or 2016. I can use them now, but I prefer a pivot style platform.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Split, depends on the setup last year was mix of ros esp when using Jx3. When I’m a saddle usually top of step (mini platform) plus a couple ameristeps off to the side. Adding a hand climber as climbing method this year but may also pack for platform on presets. So basically I’m all over the place.....

I voted ROS. It is much more affordable for me to take 4 Bullman steps and preset a couple trees on various pieces of public. If I am presetting I don't worry about being loud with the ratchet strap etc. I will also be using a few Wild Edge Steps to preset as well (and maybe adding some primal steps here sometime too).

I man with two loves. Love my squirrel steps and love my predator platform. I prefer the predator but sometimes on leaning trees that platform is difficult if I want to sit 90 degrees of the lean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROS was king for a long time before the diy platform craze. Now I love a platform.

ROS for me. Tried a platform but just prefer being able to walk around the tree so I sold it.

All i have is squirrel steps(ROS), and love them so far. I may get a platform in the future but i like the less bulk of the ROS....

Seeing that I don't own a platform, my answer is definitely ROS. I'd like to try the platform one day to compare but the steps work fine.

Platform all the way. When we all discovered DIY platforms several years ago...it was an awesome upgrade for me. It made me much more comfortable. I used ROS exclusively from 2009 to probably 2015 or 2016. I can use them now, but I prefer a pivot style platform.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

This echoes my situation pretty much exactly. I used a ROS from 2008 until around 2015 or so. I never could get nearly as comfortable as I can get on a platform.

I've tried platforms. They weren't for me. I like me feet to be on each side of the tree or one foot in front and one to the side. The most comfortable to me is 3 WE steps. 3o clock, 6 o'clock, 9 o'clock.

Before the LW Assasin came along, I stood atop my spurs. So I thought that platform was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I recently obtained a ROS. I replaced the ratchet strap with an OCB strap. I prefer the OCB. That strap is smaller, lighter, quieter, and easier to operate than a ratchet strap. It gets the steps just as tight, as well. I still prefer the platform. Even the DIY plywood/Primal feels better to me. The platform is also what I am most familiar with, though. I can see some advantages in the ROS for some applications. So, I won't pass final judgement on the ROS until I put them to actual use in the woods through this upcoming season.

Back