• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

ROS

Zach Parker

Is anyone still using the ROS platform method since there’s other actual platform options available now?

There is a thread going right now titled ROS or Platform?...check it out. But yes, many guys still prefer the ROS to any platform.

Yes, I have never used anything but a ROS.
I’ve hunted off ow wild edge stepps the predator and ring of stepps. It’s hard to deny that weak side shot is easier on a platform. That said in using the ring of steps on a strap the last few weeks I don’t think there is a huge amount of movement moving around the tree. Not that much more than passing my bow over my tether and pivoting around. I definitely think it’s takes more practice to make a stealthy move on a ring of steps to while watching the deer instead of your feet. Scott it really seems to me that a true weak side shot from strap on steps is next to impossible but with a little planning and being able to spot the deer ahead of time you can make every shot a strong side shot. Almost the same form and body angle all the way around the tree. There may be a few more deer you don’t get to shoot at but honestly if a deer is at my six and alert I’m not going to be able to pivot around and swing bow under or over tether on a platform either way. I guess what I’m asking you is do you practice spinning around facing away from the tree with your heels on the stepps or just always pivot around the tree to make a weak side your strong side. It seems like that would be best for accuracy and would be repeatable. It would simplify practice sessions as well.

I guess what I’m asking you is do you practice spinning around facing away from the tree with your heels on the stepps or just always pivot around the tree to make a weak side your strong side. It seems like that would be best for accuracy and would be repeatable. It would simplify practice sessions as well.
On a smaller tree you might be able to walk around it to make the weak side your strong side. That is nice when you can do it, plus you have the tree as cover between you and the deer. On a larger tree you can't really do that. I don't really practice anymore but I have been hunting the exact same way for 10 years so it's second nature. I do a couple things to make things easier on myself though. Probably the most important thing is I set up my steps in as similar a position as possible every time. I can usually manuever around the tree without looking at my steps because I know where they should be. The other thing I do is when I first get up in a tree I will check out my limitations. Sometimes by moving around, other times I just know what I can get away with based off experience.

I still think being dead still is over rated. Using the saddle I can make quiet, stealthy movements at the correct time and get away with them. I move when the deer is behind a tree or bush or when they are looking the other way.

Sometimes you have to go for broke. I once had a buck that I didn't spot until he was 30 yards away coming from behind me to the offside. As soon as I realized it I saw that he was looking forward and moving I grabbed my bow and in one smooth motion turned and drew while pivoting to my offside. I made a bad shot on that deer but I was able to get a shot off without being detected.

I agree being still is overrated. Slow methodical movements is the way to go. With even a small breeze everything is moving. Even on dead still days there are constant flashes of birds and squirrels moving around. When I was younger I tried so hard to be still that my head neck and even eyes would hurt from craning around slowly and cutting my eyes trying to see before I got my head turned around. Now when I hear a twig snap 50 yards away in thick cover I’m slowly moving to get a good look. I probably get seen more now but I’m not getting pinned down by many deer at five yards because I wouldn’t turn around and look when I heard them at 30 yards either.

I've been using a little bit of a hybrid approach this year. I climb the tree using the single stick method and use the Predator platform. I climb the tree with my back to the direction I want to be facing when I'm set up. At height I set the platform where I want it, approximately opposite of and at about the same height as the top of my stick. That way when I'm tethered in and standing with both feet on the platform my stick is attached to the tree at about my 11:00 position (standing at 6:00 and opposite side of the tree 12:00).

Being right handed I can shoot normally off the platform from approximately my 11:00 to 5:00 directions just by rotating my body and bridge.

To shoot between 11:00 and 2:00 I just step my left foot over to the top of my stick leaving my right foot on the platform. This lines my body up better in a normal shooting position and gets me partially around the tree.

If I need to shoot between 2:00 and 4:00 I step my right foot onto the top of the stick. Now I'm almost exactly on the back side of the tree from my start and can easily shoot to my normally off hand side.

This works on the tree size I generally hunt, up to about 18" in diameter. There is very little motion required, one or two small steps, and most of that motion takes place on the backside of the tree from my quarry. This method allows me the comfort of the platform while providing the ability to shift around the tree as if using a ROS. The downside is if the tree is bigger I have trouble getting clearance in one step to shoot backside. In those rare instances I resort to the spin on the platform method for my offside shots.

I’ve been using my lone wolf assault hand climber seat as my platform and ratchet to to the tree so it handles side pressure very well. I also bought a silent approach saddle hunter ROS. I’m truly torn on what I like better. I will say this, I am of the opinion that a ROS allows you to utilize the benefit of hunting from a saddle more so than a platform. I guess it depends whether you truly want a wider range of motion or comfort. Like they told us in the Corp...drink water, take Motrin, and suck it up lol. With all that being said I still haven’t decided my favorite platform

The bullmans outdoor steps are inferior to a lot of other options in many people's opinion for a ros. Ameristeps are generally the preferred plastic step, or there is now FINALLY an aluminum choice which is getting great reviews and is currently the same price each as a used ameristep. Check out doublesteps.com.

The bullmans outdoor steps are inferior to a lot of other options in many people's opinion for a ros. Ameristeps are generally the preferred plastic step, or there is now FINALLY an aluminum choice which is getting great reviews and is currently the same price each as a used ameristep. Check out doublesteps.com.
Thanks for the info! Appreciate it!

I keep going back to the ROS. The year they did the diy xop platform I made one and hunted with it all year. It was comfortable to stand on and it made me a leaner. I like to sit most of the time. So it was changing up my style. I always felt that when I leaned around the tree I was fighting gravity to not just swing around. I never developed a technique that whole year to not be fighting gravity on that swing. I did get better but never as controlled as I am with ROS using my knees against the tree for stabilization. The platform puts me further away from the tree and that’s an advantage to platforms for some people, just not me. So back to ameristeps and OCB. Then tethrd came out with the predator. Watching @flinginairos maneuver with it made me want one. So I pre ordered and while I waited I made another platform with an old lonewolf seat. Put it in the tree and I remembered why I didn’t like platforms so I canceled my predator order. Back to ameristeps again. Then I been following @Nutterbuster and @DanO developement of the aluminum platform steps and seeing how they pack tighter than ameristeps, I decided to order some. Can’t have too many options right? Lol.
I just feel being in a sitting position and angle from the tree, the ROS fits my style better and I feel more secure moving around the tree if I need to but most of my shots don’t take any more movement than bending one knee to the tree and pushing out with the opposite leg off the steps. The bigger the tree, the more I have to step over to another step, then repeat the step above to cover more degrees of shots.
And if I’m climbing with WE Stepps, then I like to use some as a platform. They are kind of an inbetween for me of platform and steps. I just don’t like putting the 2 on either side. It’s frustrating for me to do. I can install one easy if it’s in front of me. And swinging over to put the side ones on so they are in front of me, sucks too. But they are nice to stand on and maneuver with.

Last edited:
They're pricey. I think I might stay with WE for now.
Yes, they are a little pricey, but again, they are the same price as a USED ameristep right now and those are no longer produced. You could also pack like 10 in the amount of space 1 WE step takes up, and you only have to put 1 strap on the tree for a full 360 degree of steps. No special knot to tie when your hands are wet and/or cold. They're also designed and tested FOR and AS a ring of steps by saddle hunters and not as a climbing method as steps have originated in the past. This is a big "step"(see the pun there) forward for the ROS. Keep in mind that a ROS isnt a "cheaper" alternative to a platform, its just an alternative tool. The predator is $179. ROS WITH strap is $136. so you're saving there. Just my $.02.

Yes, they are a little pricey, but again, they are the same price as a USED ameristep right now and those are no longer produced. You could also pack like 10 in the amount of space 1 WE step takes up, and you only have to put 1 strap on the tree for a full 360 degree of steps. No special knot to tie when your hands are wet and/or cold. They're also designed and tested FOR and AS a ring of steps by saddle hunters and not as a climbing method as steps have originated in the past. This is a big "step"(see the pun there) forward for the ROS. Keep in mind that a ROS isnt a "cheaper" alternative to a platform, its just an alternative tool. The predator is $179. ROS WITH strap is $136. so you're saving there. Just my $.02.
So I take it you're a 5 stepper?

Back