• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

RR with steps?

Knik

Haven't had time to play around with this setup yet and I'm sure some of you guys have tried this. So.....did you like it? With the steps higher than the platform are there advantages or disadvantages? One advantage I see, on a leaner, is if the platform is on the high side of the tree then the higher step position gives you more leverage to keep from swinging to the low side. Am I correct on that thinking?

So basically I put two steps on the RR strap, one on each side of the tree. Looks to be 5"-6" higher than platform base.

There's been a few posts of you search a little. I use same setup on my ridge runner too (just don't gave pics), but here's a pic on my podium (same platform attachment). I do like if I need to get around tree, To much weight on step will "uncam" platform if you transfer enough weight off platform to steps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200129-220846_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200129-220846_Gallery.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 61
There's been a few posts of you search a little. I use same setup on my ridge runner too (just don't gave pics), but here's a pic on my podium (same platform attachment). I do like if I need to get around tree, To much weight on step will "uncam" platform if you transfer enough weight off platform to steps.
Good to know about the uncaming effect of the steps, didn't think about that. Guess I'll try a separate strap for the steps then. If the platform loosens on the tree I can see where that would create some noise on the tree bark, as the platform settles back in. Appreciate the reply.

It's negligible if you keep one foot on platform. I found out while sitting with both feet on steps and put too much weight on steps while adjusting/ moving. Nothing stepping back on platform didn't remedy. I still run the steps on same strap.

It's negligible if you keep one foot on platform. I found out while sitting with both feet on steps and put too much weight on steps while adjusting/ moving. Nothing stepping back on platform didn't remedy. I still run the steps on same strap.
This^^
I just add 1 step to my strap. It packs easier when wrapping up after the hunt.
In lieu of a 2nd step on the strap, I just place my top climbing step in that position.

Trying a photo again

Attachments

• 20200316_172950__1584463706_51313.jpg
    20200316_172950__1584463706_51313.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 32
Back