• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rubber boots

Preferred boot type

• Rubber

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • Leather

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Fabric

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Crock

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

firehunter

Hey guys, I was just wondering how many of us wear rubber boots vs leather and fabric boots. I know they say rubbers are supposed to be better for scent but even with 1200G insulation my feet freeze in rubbers but are warmer in less insulated non rubber boots.

I'll wear rubber boots when absolutely necessary (trudging through marshes) but I'm in leather boots whenever possible. The difference in comfort for me is huge, and I'm much more confident climbing in leather boots.

I'll wear rubber boots when absolutely necessary (trudging through marshes) but I'm in leather boots whenever possible. The difference in comfort for me is huge, and I'm much more confident climbing in leather boots.
I agree with ya. There are some areas I hunt I have no choice but rubber due to sloppy conditions.

Learned way back in 6th grade that rubber offered the best protection. I wore leather for a long time until I bought a set of mucks that fit really well and haven’t looked back.

Both boot types have positives and negatives. Rubber besides being waterproof do reduce the amount of scent left on the ground and low vegetation. Leathers big advantage, unless it has a waterproof membrane, is that it is vapor permeable. Any leather boot with a waterproof membrane might as well be a rubber boot as far as allowing the feet to remain dry from perspiration. The problem that leather boots presents is as we walk, the boot acts like a pump pushing scent filled air out through the leather as we step down and sucking air back into the boot again through the leather. That action deposits our scent on the ground with every step but on the plus side it allows our feet to keep relativity dry. Dry feet are warmer, more comfortable, healthier feet.

Any type of mukluk out there is made highly vapor permeable whether they are US or Canadian Army issued, Steger or Wiggy's Mukluks even the originals that the Eskimos wore. Since they allow the feet to stay drier, they keep the wearers feet warmer.

Rubber boots don't pump air into and out of the boot through it's material which minimizes the amount of scent deposited on the ground. Feet can sweat up to a cup of moisture every day. Since the rubber boot doesn't pump air into and out of the boot, there's no where for the moisture to go, although some will get pumped out the top of the boot depending on the fit of the boot. Although rubber boots don't deposit scent from our foot onto the ground or vegetation, they leave the wearer with damp feet and damp feet get cold easily. The only way to combat cold feet if they are damp is by dressing warmly so that your core stays warm and keeps blood circulating well. There is no such thing as a perfect boot.

Last edited:
I'm a rubber boot guy and use them mainly for worst case possible situations. It's been 26 seasons with nothing but rubber boots. Almost feel naked wearing leather boots for a hunt. Muck boots have been the best for me. I get the best boot they have with the largest temperature range. I wear them from 95 degree early season down to almost 0 degree. I find have the boot a 1/2 size large and wear the appropriate sock or multiple socks if needed. Worst cases I have dropped in a hot hands in each boot while on stand.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

In Florida the material is not as important as the word "snakeproof". I've lost count of how many moccasins I've stepped over in these swamps.

Most public land i hunt is very wet so i use hip waders with crocs strapped to my pack. I hide the waders and hunt with the crocs. I carry a length of 550cord that i can hang the hip waders off a tree just in case there is no dry ground. If I'm going to a piece of public that's dry with not much water i have a waterproof pair of mid high hiking boots.... More like a sneaker than a boot

One other thing i think i should mention is my go to boots before this season when i wasnt in the hip waders were a 18'' rubber boot. The 18'' boot contacts my knee pads and it creates a pinch point. So be sure and test out what you'll be wearing while hunting in the back yard. I would have been pretty uncomfortable on my first saddle hunt if i hadn't tried it out first.

I roll with 4 Sets of Rubber Boots for my seasons in New England.

Hunting Boots:
Fieldblazer Muck Boots - Sept thru Oct
Aerohead LaCrosse Boots - Oct, Nov, and some warmer Dec days
Arctic Pro Muck Boots - End of Nov thru end of Dec

Scouting Rubber Boots:
For year round scouting I use the old Cabela's Uninsulated whatever brand name rubber boots (I dont recall what they were called) I had before the Fieldblazer Muck Boots. They sprung a small leak and had took a beating so I just use these for scouting starting in January and right up to season (I also use them around the house shoveling snow and other chores).

This system has worked well for me and seems to prolong the life of the hunting boots.

I always try and use the boot dryer after each hunt and store them in an extra large rubber maid bin. I'll also leave a small bag of activated carbon (coconut charcoal) in the bin to remove any foot stench as well as the any rubbery smell from the boots.

Back