• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rubber Patch

Schwonkhead

I have a pair of rubber hip boots that I lent to my kids’ babysitter when she was searching for her lost dog. I got them back, a year later, and now there is a hole just below the knee on one of them. Is there a decent way to patch the hole and retain the waterproofness, or should I consider these spent and replace them?

I have a pair of rubber hip boots that I lent to my kids’ babysitter when she was searching for her lost dog. I got them back, a year later, and now there is a hole just below the knee on one of them. Is there a decent way to patch the hole and retain the waterproofness, or should I consider these spent and replace them?

Not sure if this will work for rubber, but it worked well on some old gore tex rain paints:

1. Cut a patch out of Gorilla Duct Tape, with the patch having rounded edges so they don't "pick" easily
2. Clean surface well
3. put a small piece of wood inside pants under cut
4. cover Gorilla Duct Tape's sticky side with Gorilla Super Glue (gel, impact resistant variety that flexs)
5. Place patch over cut
6. Put another piece of wood over top of patch on outside
7. Clamp 2 pieces of wood together to hold patch very tight
8. Leave overnight

The pants I did this to will probably be rags before that patch gives!

I would give gorilla tape a try before anything else. Cheap, easy, and I’ve had it work on lots of things. This year I even used it to patch two holes in my inflatable turkey decoys. Holding fast even with all the expanding/contracting.
If you can get a piece nice and warm in the sun then stick it on, that thing isn’t going anywhere.

Seam Grip. I buy it at academy and use it on my duck hunting waders. I’ve successfully used it on rubber and neoprene. If it’s a big hole patch it with a rubber patch and cover it with seam grip.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I already have everything to try the gorilla tape method so I will probably try that first, but it is nice to have other options too.

Seam Grip is the only way to go for fixing boots, that stuff is powerful, use it outside.

We've been using Tear Aid for a few years and I'm really happy with it so far. I like that it's an instant fix. I used Seam Seal, Shoe Goo, type stuf for years but it has to dry for hours. And how many times do you get out the tube of Seam Seal that you used only 1/10th of an ounce only to find it hardened in the tube?That stuff is okay for gluing boot sole type repairs but for holes, tears and leaks, its nice to have something that instantly repairs.
This stuff is really durable flexible and super sticky. It's light weight in a pack, takes up no room, and won't dry out like liquid crap does.

Last edited:
We've been using Tear Aid for a few years and I'm really happy with it so far. I like that it's an instant fix. I used Seam Seal, Shoe Goo, type stuf for years but it has to dry for hours. And how many times do you get out the tube of Seam Seal that you used only 1/10th of an ounce only to find it hardened in the tube?That stuff is okay for gluing boot sole type repairs but for holes, tears and leaks, its nice to have something that instantly repairs.
This stuff is really durable flexible and super sticky. It's light weight in a pack, takes up no room, and won't dry out like liquid crap does.
Put seam grip in the freezer after opening and it will last for months. It does have to set up overnight but it’s a permanent fix for boot and waders.

So.....did she at least find the dog?
Haha, yes. She didn't find her that night, but the next day when she was going out to look again the dog was at the back door. We had seen her a couple times while she was loose, you know how city dogs are though, they get so scared when they aren't at home anymore that they run from everything.

I’m going to have to try tear-aid.

Back