• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Run n' Gun Pole Saw

Kuenro02

For run and gun, mobile sets do you guys carry in an extension/pole saw to clear shooting lanes? If so, what do you do with the saw when done and ready to hunt? I was thinking about bringing along a bungee cord to wrap around the tree

If it’s pre sets then pole saw is ok, but for run & gun I just use a treble & some paracord & just pull limbs out of the way & tie off or cut.

For presets, I used to carry a hooeyman but recently upgraded to a wicked. I found one used at a price I could turn down.

For run and gun, I carry a small saw but hate to use it due to the noise. I just try to find an area that has some natural lanes.

I have used paracord to tie some branches back when needed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

For presets, I used to carry a hooeyman but recently upgraded to a wicked. I found one used at a price I could turn down.

For run and gun, I carry a small saw but hate to use it due to the noise. I just try to find an area that has some natural lanes.

I have used paracord to tie some branches back when needed.

How do the two compare? I have a 5ft hooyman and it’s not bad. I have had 2 minor things break on it already, so I’m thinking if I buy again it will be wicked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do the two compare? I have a 5ft hooyman and it’s not bad. I have had 2 minor things break on it already, so I’m thinking if I buy again it will be wicked.

Well I have the 10 foot hooey and the 12 foot wicked. The wicked is much nicer but heavier. The blade is longer and hooked, compared to the hooey. The only real downside to the wicked is that you can't take the saw off and use it as a hand saw.

If you own a wicked hand saw, you know their quality. The pole saw is no different.

I had a 5ft hooyman but sold it. I carry a folding saw tucked in my muck boots to trim limbs that interfere with climbing. I don't like to make any more noise or disturb any more habitat than I have to.

I have both a 4 and 10 foot hooyman saw setup. Use the 10 foot when setting up spots before the season and 5 for quick run sets. Hooyman has great customer service and will repair or replace broken stuff promptly.

Tim

I haven't had experience with either hooyman or wicked BUT I used a buddies silky last year...amazing! That's where my $250 will be going when I do pull the trigger

I have one of these it’s actually pretty awesome
e286554f86ec8b0c6086b3f2c62bd0f1.jpg

Check out Silky Pole Saws!!! Pricey but you won't find a finer pole saw that works as advertised... Got two of them and I find my self being proactive about even pruning my own trees at home because of how effortless they cut.

I haven't had experience with either hooyman or wicked BUT I used a buddies silky last year...amazing! That's where my $250 will be going when I do pull the trigger

Sorry about that... Didn't see your post...I posted down below about the Silky and I wholeheartedly agree....

The Hooyman is very good for a run and gun saw. It’s nice you can take the handsaw off and even the 10’ is easy to carry. The strap it comes with is elastic and velcro so you can wrap it around the tree while your hunting. I’ve used it extensively for years without breaking anything. I was worried about the saw connection point but I’ve been impressed that it’s held up. The saw cuts very well too.

You can get higher quality saws, but I don’t know that anything is as equally packable as the Hooyman. It’s also a good option if you’re factoring in cost.

I have one of these it’s actually pretty awesome
e286554f86ec8b0c6086b3f2c62bd0f1.jpg

I have what looks like an older model. It is great for pre setting up trees. I finally did destroy it this year after probably 5 years of heavy use. I also use it "off label" for whacking branches, pulling stuff slightly out of reach, etc. I'd like to find one that packs down slightly smaller. Looks like this one does.

Paul Brunner used to sell a screw on saw that was fantastic to keep in the pack. Cut a limb, attach it and there ya go. I broke my years ago and just have not found a replacement. I do always keep a saw in my pack as well as pruners because where I hunt you often have to clear some shooting lanes when going in blind.... at least in the tree you are in or those very close.

Well I have the 10 foot hooey and the 12 foot wicked. The wicked is much nicer but heavier. The blade is longer and hooked, compared to the hooey. The only real downside to the wicked is that you can't take the saw off and use it as a hand saw.

If you own a wicked hand saw, you know their quality. The pole saw is no different.

I agree. The folding wicked is by far the best I've used. & the 10' ultralite Wicked is fantastic. The saw comes off the end easily, but the pole only shortens to about 5'. The 5' Hooey does a decent job if you need to pack a saw in and want a little reach, but it's heavy, bulky in the pack, and the blade is no where near as fast as the wicked. Going in blind I usually just carry the wicked polesaw & will hang it from a step at height.

Back