• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rut action in Wisconsin in February?

ofor

I watched 2 different bucks running does around this week in SE Wisconsin. Our peak rut in Wisconsin is generally early November with a trickle rut for the late girls and the ones that somehow managed to slip through the November testosterone gauntlet. Conception now would put the fawn drop in August which would not give adequate time for enough growth and fat accumulation to get the little bugger through our winters.

Anyone else in the northern states ever see rutting activity this late in the year? Obviously one of them was in estrous but they still didn’t seem interested in what the boys were selling.

I saw two bucks chasing a doe midday on Sunday in central Wisconsin. I thought it was a little odd but it’s not the first I’ve heard of them breeding this late. There are going to be some small fawns next summer

I'm in southern Michigan. Years ago, I recall a guy my dad worked with saw a buck breeding a doe in February. So guess it can happen. Wonder what kinda survival rate those fawns have.

Was it mature bucks, sometimes there's a pecking order thing going on too related to food, buck vs doe bedding dispersal etc. so it may have not been rut activity per se but yeah that's cool. I would think some fawns maybe coming into estrous but I agree, they're going to be born late. The gestation is 280 days from impregnation.

The latest I've seen bucks chasing a doe is January 15. Definitely rut activity as there were 4 bucks trying to get to her.

If they weren’t mature bucks, prolly just a couple dum dums haha. If they were, that’s pretty wild!

I recently heard Grant Woods saying some deer on his place have been bred as late as February and March. He’s in Missouri with a pretty similar peak breeding date. When the fawns hit 70lb, it’s go time!

Not up north, but definitely makin bacon in mid-January in NC, and saw it in late February several times over the years.
fc62a02a6aec33f7aba05bded7e00f22.jpg

Was it mature bucks, sometimes there's a pecking order thing going on too related to food, buck vs doe bedding dispersal etc. so it may have not been rut activity per se but yeah that's cool. I would think some fawns maybe coming into estrous but I agree, they're going to be born late. The gestation is 280 days from impregnation.
The one early in the week was a dink and the one later in the week had good sized headgear. I generally only see bucks in this area during rut. Some does bed there year round. This little marsh is inside the village limits so there isn’t much real-estate for them to work with.

Gestation period is ~200 days.

Some fawns do come into their 1st heat in mid winter.

And as long as a buck has antlers, they are willing and able to breed, even if the target female is not receptive. Young bucks will act like teenage boys.

Rut is much later here I have seen deer chasing in late February and scrapes being worked in March Also i cant say for where u guys are but down here I would bet the majority of does are bred by younger bucks.Buck to doe ratio is just that unbalanced in most places

Back