• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle as Deer Drag?

Tree Gal

I was wondering if any of you guys have ever used your saddle as a deer drag. Ideally I would quarter the deer up and haul it out in a couple of trips. But if I’m reading my state game laws correctly, I have to transport all quarters together which means it would have to be done in one trip. I know that if I shot a buck I would have to have my husband help me get it out but I think I might be able to handle dragging a field dressed doe out. I’ve got a mantis and 20ft of tubular webbing, was hoping I could rig something up with that. Any ideas, comments, pics are appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering if any of you guys have ever used your saddle as a deer drag. Ideally I would quarter the deer up and haul it out in a couple of trips. But if I’m reading my state game laws correctly, I have to transport all quarters together which means it would have to be done in one trip. I know that if I shot a buck I would have to have my husband help me get it out but I think I might be able to handle dragging a field dressed doe out. I’ve got a mantis and 20ft of tubular webbing, was hoping I could rig something up with that. Any ideas, comments, pics are appreciated. Thanks

I dragged my bea out last year with my TL saddle worked great, other than I almost got pulled down a huge ridge a couple of times. I wrappte the tether around the bear, fed it up over my shoulder, then clipped my bridge. next time I will friction wrap it around my bridge and just hold it with one hand so if I'm headed down a ridge, I vcan just let go and it will unravel and I wont tumble down afte rit.

Wow. Isn't that what husbands are for? :grinning:

My mantis and kestrel have drug deer as well. Throw it across my chest girth hitch the tether around the head with front feet inserted and take off. It’s easy to adjust tether length when going up and down hills so your not plowing with the deers nose but not lifting too much when you don’t need to. It’s still a drag but there is no better deer drag than a saddle.

Wow. Isn't that what husbands are for? :grinning:

Yes it is most of the time. But there are many times we hunt separately or I’m by myself out there. I just don’t like the idea of “limiting” myself to only hunting close to the truck. I’m really looking forward to hunting deep on the public and I feel like my state’s stupid rule hinders me. I want to feel like I have the “freedom” to shoot what I want when I want. I love shooting deer!!!

The best way I have found to drag a deer is by cutting a small hickory stick about 3 feet long. Tie a rope around the horns and put a half hitch around the nose. Keep the rope short(2-3 feet). Lock the stick behind your back and in your elbows if you have two people one on each side of the stick. It keeps the head and shoulders up and drags much easier.

I’ve never heard of a law like that. Not saying you’re wrong, just wondering if a call to IL’s DNR wouldn’t clear that law up for you and anyone else on here who is wondering the same thing? I call our DNR like, two or more times every season to check particulars. If you get that answered, share in this thread!
If the law is as you understood it and you have to lug it out in one trip, you could use your lineman’s belt to drag that puppy out. Girth hitch it through the bight around the deer’s neck and either clip that prusik around your body’s seatbelt angle back onto the rope or another carabiner, or tie the tag end around yourself with a couple of good hitches.

I’ve never heard of a law like that. Not saying you’re wrong, just wondering if a call to IL’s DNR wouldn’t clear that law up for you and anyone else on here who is wondering the same thing? I call our DNR like, two or more times every season to check particulars. If you get that answered, share in this thread!
If the law is as you understood it and you have to lug it out in one trip, you could use your lineman’s belt to drag that puppy out. Girth hitch it through the bight around the deer’s neck and either clip that prusik around your body’s seatbelt angle back onto the rope or another carabiner, or tie the tag end around yourself with a couple of good hitches.

I agree a call might help clear things up so I will work on that. Here is a pic out of our regs. How do you interpret it????
37b3e477526dc8ff0c8e52f9d1ef4061.jpg

The best way I have found to drag a deer is by cutting a small hickory stick about 3 feet long. Tie a rope around the horns and put a half hitch around the nose. Keep the rope short(2-3 feet). Lock the stick behind your back and in your elbows if you have two people one on each side of the stick. It keeps the head and shoulders up and drags much easier.

This is a definite upgrade compared to grabbing a hold of the animal itself. I just thought if I could hook it up to the saddle and get the weight of the animal around my midsection and have my hands free to get my momentum up and be able to drag it in the most upright manner I can.

I’m talking about dragging 1/4-1 mile. With most areas not having trails/roads close. So I thought dragging the deer out whole would be less of a headache than screwing around with a cart. Wanted to use what I have on me to get the job done, and prevent any unnecessary trips back to the truck (i.e to get game cart)

Perhaps "transported" means vehicular transportation. I'd call them on it to be sure though.

That’s a good point, maybe that’s what they meant. I was assuming they meant transportation from the field.

@Tree Gal definitely get in touch with your local DNR office. A quick read of the regulations found the deer must remain whole or field dressed until checked in. Looks like the check in process can be done over the phone or online so you could potentially check it in from the kill location then quarter it and carry out. It looks as if they want your permit number to be used so you can’t try to sneak that one in the freezer and keep hunting. Dragging a 250lb buck over a mile is a daunting task regardless of the drag used. Heck that’s tough with a cart if done solo on flat ground by a linebacker. Add any decent incline and your talking an all day job with block and tackle.

This is a definite upgrade compared to grabbing a hold of the animal itself. I just thought if I could hook it up to the saddle and get the weight of the animal around my midsection and have my hands free to get my momentum up and be able to drag it in the most upright manner I can.

I lasso the front legs, cut a hole in the lower jaw, and thread the rope through it. Now when I pull the head, leg and part of the front body is partially elevated. Tie the rope to your saddle or gran a stick and make a handle.

I agree a call might help clear things up so I will work on that. Here is a pic out of our regs. How do you interpret it????
37b3e477526dc8ff0c8e52f9d1ef4061.jpg

Okay thank you for posting that! I think they mean you can’t butcher it into cuts afield, and that all parts must travel together in one vehicle/vessel. Again, call before you take my word for it, but I interpret that as: quarter it and/or gut and remove it from the woods, while leaving all necessary tags and evidence of sex with all parts of one animal together, then let the butcher do the rest or wait until you get home to part the meat out. I think they really just want to avoid game theft and trophy mistagging, and all sorts of other stupidity from greedy people. If a warden stops you to check it or whatever, you’ll have all parts of one animal tagged and together to make their jobs and your experience more pleasant.

I believe that means it cant be split up. Has to all go to one place until checked in. Not split between hunters etc. I don't think they'll give you grief over making two trips to the truck.

Back