• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

saddle design & improvements 2020

JumpingVampire

What kind of saddle improvements would you like to see change in the near future? I would like see a adjustable bridge loop to help balance saddles feel overall. Next would have to be the linemen's belt. It would be a great design if the pressure was supported through out the whole saddle as you climbed and not just on the top belt. Lastly with all the pouches and weight we put back on those molly loops. It'll be great idea if there were some molly loop sewed up front to insert belt trough to counter balance some of the weight as we walk in.

Lets hear your thoughts and maybe some company will listen to our consideration

I'd really like to see a fanny pack style saddle. Storage built in to eliminate the need for separate packs.

Fun thread, but most ideas mentioned here will likely take a while, unless they are already in the works in prototypes now. First, an option to order saddles without any molle loops, saddles are for wearing, not lugging! Also, provide the comfort of a bare fleece saddle with the safety of a Kestrel (I know, a supply of unobtanium is required for this one). Outside of minor tweaks for form and function, it still comes back to just a few straps under the rear and their positions, and there are not many tweaks left that will make huge differences. It will take an introduction of a new material(s) to take them much further than what is out there now. If we are truly honest, how far have we really come since the old, comfortable leather TLs? Inches maybe, but not even feet...

There's gonna be a lot of contradiction and personal preference here. Niches left to fill.

On the whole fleece comfort line - this is basically supporting with soft flexible stuff vs load rated straps. Possible at a bulk, weight and/or complexity cost.

So just before this recent popularity of saddles, there were not a bunch of commercially available models. (Basically secondhand market or DIY) Now there are , but the demand far exceeds these small companies capacity. I would selfishly enjoy the ability to select a few different saddles that were all in stock & order to test myself. Instead of hoarding a bunch & eventually selling some off to find other projects....... not sure if that eventually rights itself anyway.

So just before this recent popularity of saddles, there were not a bunch of commercially available models. (Basically secondhand market or DIY) Now there are , but the demand far exceeds these small companies capacity. I would selfishly enjoy the ability to select a few different saddles that were all in stock & order to test myself. Instead of hoarding a bunch & eventually selling some off to find other projects....... not sure if that eventually rights itself anyway.
You triggered a thought that ties into availability...I can already hear the patriotic cries coming now, but I would love to see AH/WE and big T offer saddles from outside the US for a lower price, and on the shelf for immediate shipping, just like the new TLs. Keep the premium/ custom built, made in the USA lines if you must, just offer a second choice. That would address the availability in an instant.

If you got worked up over that, put on your big boy pants people. Even the raw materials from most products labeled made in the USA come from other countries, we are in a global economy and it's never going back.

I’d like to see someone design a piece of equipment that is comfortable to sit in, regardless of weather, shape or size of tree, doesn’t pinch hips or cause fatigue. It would also double as a way to haul haul any amount of equipment or clothing I’m willing to carry in the woods, and also pack any critter I shoot out. It should be well built and quiet. It should also be able to be used as a ground chair. And the owner must be accessible to answer questions and talk hunting stories, or have folks willing to do the same for him...if only.....

I don't want much...just a minimalist saddle like the Tactisaddle, with the comfort and standoff of the JX3 so I do not need a platform.

I don't want much...just a minimalist saddle like the Tactisaddle, with the comfort and standoff of the JX3 so I do not need a platform.
Agreed... I'm picturing a mix of the Guido, Tactisaddle, and a Preacher Seat...

I would like a saddle with sewn in gel pads, that way guys with Noassatall disease, like me, can be snug and comfy

I would like to see a someone utilize the elastic/bungee type straps newer commercial safety harnesses come with. The load bearing waist and leg straps on most of the newer OSHA compliant safety harnesses utilize some sort of elastic 2" wide webbing. That webbing is a ton more comfortable and still load rated for impacts. ( when you factor in the shock absorbing lanyard atleast). I not sure if the lanyard is the reason for the safety factor engineered into it or not. I have seen a post or comment or two about adding slow rip or descension slowing type devises to the tether or tether attachment. I think @kyler1945 had commented about them somewhere.

Secondly maybe figure out a way through research are meeting for one of the leaders to earn that TMA stamp required on some WMAs throughout the country.

Hmm i wonder if a shock absorber could be incorporated into the bridge loops? I could even envision it as part of the selectable bridge position being requested

I’d like to see someone design a piece of equipment that is comfortable to sit in, regardless of weather, shape or size of tree, doesn’t pinch hips or cause fatigue. It would also double as a way to haul haul any amount of equipment or clothing I’m willing to carry in the woods, and also pack any critter I shoot out. It should be well built and quiet. It should also be able to be used as a ground chair. And the owner must be accessible to answer questions and talk hunting stories, or have folks willing to do the same for him...if only.....
Good luck! Didn't work for me! Felt like sitting on the sh!!ter for an extended amount of time, legs went numb and then it was hard to stand up in with the back rest.

Back