• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

saddle fit.

backstrap19

I have a mantis. i've hunted out of it every single day this season. i enjoy it. however, i've taken to sitting more lately. i used to mostly lean. now the mantis isn't as comfortable as it used to be. it was great for leaning, but i'm having trouble with it riding up the hips, and the bottom strap heading towards the waist belt after i sit. i sat in a size 2 flex recently. no hip pinch, and lots of cupping. it felt great for sitting. my question is about this cupping feel that is more comfy for sitting. how do the kite and regular kestrel feel as far as the cupping goes? i'm looking for something that cups better than my mantis, and won't ride up all over me as much. any input would be appreciated. THanks.

I am typically a leaner. For leaning, my Kestrel is awesome. For sitting the flex is more comfortable for me.

I also have a flex, not a regular but gotta say the flex has excellent cupage. Sitting in it is like a butt hammock. I'm typically a leaner and it's good for that too

thanks for the feedback guys. it's so hard to pick a saddle sight unseen, so as many opinions as possible are helpful! I was a leaner, and the mantis was good, but as i sit more, it needs more constant adjustments.

This late in the season I would just hold off. If I still wanted a flex at the end I f season I would try to find a yarak to compare it to.

the yarak definitely has my interest, i'm just not sure when they may be available! you make a good point about being end of season. that affords me the luxury of time. thanks for the tip!

I hunt from both positions and have had the opportunity to try the Mantis, Kestrel and Kite. The Kite is the saddle that I settled on, it was a better fit for me. The Flex and Yarak are interesting, hopefully both will be at saddlepalooza this February to test. Try the saddlehunter map, maybe someone around you has either of those saddles for you to try.

I have a mantis. i've hunted out of it every single day this season. i enjoy it. however, i've taken to sitting more lately. i used to mostly lean. now the mantis isn't as comfortable as it used to be. it was great for leaning, but i'm having trouble with it riding up the hips, and the bottom strap heading towards the waist belt after i sit. i sat in a size 2 flex recently. no hip pinch, and lots of cupping. it felt great for sitting. my question is about this cupping feel that is more comfy for sitting. how do the kite and regular kestrel feel as far as the cupping goes? i'm looking for something that cups better than my mantis, and won't ride up all over me as much. any input would be appreciated. THanks.
I had a Mantis and gave it back. Now I have a Flex and am happy. Sitting in the Mantis is not comfy at all, but in the Flex its great. So, in my opinion, one can lean in a comfortable sitting saddle, but not sit in a comfortable leaning saddle. All about preferences, but, why not going with the one that does both? Just a thought....

Back