• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Hunter Institute for Lessons Learned

ThePennsylvanian

When I was in the Marine Corps, anytime there was an incident or a near miss, an investigation would take place to find out how it happened and how to prevent it from happening again. Now, everyone will experience some type of situation that either was dangerous or could have been dangerous. So, I thought I'd start a thread where those situations could be discussed and presented judgement free so that others can gain from our experiences.
I'll start! I have two that come to mind.
On thursday last week, I went to get some saddle time in the yard. I got geared up and put my first& second setup on the tree. I went to clip in to start climbing, as I was locking the beiner something felt slightly off. The screw lock reached a tight stopping point but it felt sooner than it usually did. I checked to see if it was locked and it infact wasnt. A small piece of bark had gotten inside the screw a d jammed it just before it would have been able to lock the beiner. That said it only felt slightly off when I was screwing it closed. I could have easily missed it in a hunting situation where I had other things on my mind. Not that it would have failed me but the potential was there for something to happen....
Another one from last year, again just getting some hang time in the yard. I was setting up to climbing a knotty pine with my WE steps. Got the first step set nice and tight, or so thought. After setting second step, I clipped in and started up the tree. As soon as I got my full weight on the step (2.5-3' off the ground) something slipped and the step came away from the tree and rolled to the right. Luckily I was only waist high off the ground. My safety line prevented any type of fall but it was still scaryish. After getting down I looked to try and figure out what had happened. On the back of the tree there was a knot, a pretty good one, about 2" off the tree. I happened to have my step rope come right across it. When I applied pressure ot rolled and gave the step 2" of slack instantly. Anyone who has ever climbed with them knows how little slack it can take to give the steps movement. 2" was a big deal, enough to have the step come away from the tree resting on the point and my weight rotated the step. It was a good lesson to learn when I learned it, every time I climbed during the season I made sure I knew what my line was doing all the way around the tree everytime.

So off the top of my head those are my lessons learned. I'm 100% sure I'll have more, but I've been fortunate and cautious enough to this point to only have had these "minor" experiences.
Again this thread is meant to just put information out for others to learn from, not to be judged. It could help save someone from injury or worse, and could save someone's season keeping them in the game instead of on the sidelines hobbled up!
Stay safe, happy hanging!

I was practicing in my yard the other day about 5 feet up. I went to raise my tether and normally I grab the tether rope and pull myself into an upright position to stand and raise my tether. I happened to grip the Prusik knot and pull. Bad move. Rode that puppy all the way to the stopper knot because I just kept gripping harder as I got more scared of falling.

Edit: this is not unlike my first and only ride on a dirt bike...

Last edited:
I was practicing in my yard the other day about 5 feet up. I went to raise my tether and normally I grab the tether rope and pull myself into an upright position to stand and raise my tether. I happened to grip the Prusik knot and pull. Bad move. Rode that puppy all the way to the stopper knot because I just kept gripping harder as I got more scared of falling.

Edit: this is not unlike my first and only ride on a dirt bike...
Nearly lost a pinky finger on a fence first time on a dirt bike as well. Same thing. Was not my last though.

Motorcycles. The faster you accelerate the more your weight shifts back. The more your weight shifts back the faster you accelerate as the grip twists more. It is quite an experience at first until you realize you should keep your weight forward.
I started climbing last summer and rigged up a ropeman as an ascender and an ATC in guide mode. I got about 4 feet off the ground and figured I better make sure I could descend before going higher. The ATC was locked and I could not release it under load. It took me maybe 10 minutes to figure out to reach below me and tie a figure 8 loop in the rope that I could stand on so I could release the ATC. I bought a GriGri shortly after that.

Back