• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle hunters who film....

putt4doe

Vendor Rep
Guys who film. What's is your setup and where have you found the best place to put the camera to be?

Any tips and tricks would be helpful

Thanks!

I have filmed quite a bit but not in a saddle. It's a lot of work doing it by yourself but very rewarding when it all comes together. I think the most important thing you'll need is a good tree arm with a fluid head. The next thing would be a mic. The best footage is worthless without sound.

Thanks for the reply - I should have been a little more specific.

I don't go into the woods without my camera. I absolutely love filming my hunts and editing them together to see later. I was curious for the guys that hunt with a saddle and also film, where they have found they like to put the camera arm.

When I first started filming from the saddle it took a little getting used to from where I wanted to put the arm.

Thanks!

I used a Web last year and film every time I hunt. As i'm facing the tree sitting, my Muddy camera arm base sits at my 2 o clock just above my knee. I killed three deer and got them all on film this way. With the camera on my right I can easily swing it all the way around the tree and film in every direction. The hardest shot would be directly behind me but luckily I never needed to shoot that way. Here are two hunts using the Muddy Outfitter arm, Manfrotto head, Canon G30 with Azden shotgun mic, Nikon D5200 DSLR for B roll and Gopro hero 3 for second angle stuff. I like to mount the gopro on my tree tether it makes a pretty sweet angle and the cam follows me around the tree! :lol: You can see that in action on my Ohio buck

Early season WV seven point
[youtube]3nmSdlSmQUU[/youtube]

Two kills in this one. Ohio doe from a regular lock on (hate hunting from them now!) and then a nice eight point killed from the web.
[youtube]CdtCYeHqRUQ[/youtube]

flinginairos said:
I used a Web last year and film every time I hunt. As i'm facing the tree sitting, my Muddy camera arm base sits at my 2 o clock just above my knee. I killed three deer and got them all on film this way. With the camera on my right I can easily swing it all the way around the tree and film in every direction. The hardest shot would be directly behind me but luckily I never needed to shoot that way. Here are two hunts using the Muddy Outfitter arm, Manfrotto head, Canon G30 with Azden shotgun mic, Nikon D5200 DSLR for B roll and Gopro hero 3 for second angle stuff. I like to mount the gopro on my tree tether it makes a pretty sweet angle and the cam follows me around the tree! :lol: You can see that in action on my Ohio buck

Early season WV seven point
[youtube]3nmSdlSmQUU[/youtube]

Two kills in this one. Ohio doe from a regular lock on (hate hunting from them now!) and then a nice eight point killed from the web.
[youtube]CdtCYeHqRUQ[/youtube]

Excellent videos. Enjoyed it.

Re:

BassBoysLLP said:
How do you have the go pro mounted on your tether?

With one of those Gorilla Pod flexible tripods. I just wrap the legs of it around my Ropeman1 ascender and it stays perfect. It's a great angle since the camera will basically "follow" me around the tree :lol:

Re: Re:

flinginairos said:
BassBoysLLP said:

With one of those Gorilla Pod flexible tripods. I just wrap the legs of it around my Ropeman1 ascender and it stays perfect. It's a great angle since the camera will basically "follow" me around the tree
Never thought of attaching it to the ascender. I tried wrapping my as100v around the carabiner. Tried a clamp mount too. I'll have to try attaching to the ascender.

redsquirrel said:
What do you guys think of if I created a saddle hunter filmed hunts page and posted your you tube videos on it?

Yeah do it! :cool:

redsquirrel said:
What do you guys think of if I created a saddle hunter filmed hunts page and posted your you tube videos on it?

Great idea!

I have also found that having my lw arm at my 2:00 is perfect. I have it at mid chest height when sitting so when I stand it is still in a good spot.

Loved your videos and really like the idea of the gopro on the ascender. Great second angle shot!

Re: Re:

flinginairos said:
BassBoysLLP said:

With one of those Gorilla Pod flexible tripods. I just wrap the legs of it around my Ropeman1 ascender and it stays perfect. It's a great angle since the camera will basically "follow" me around the tree :lol:

Thats a great idea! I wish you could get a go pro with a higher zoom option to get some better footage that way.

putt4doe said:
redsquirrel said:

Great idea!

Just need to find time to put all my ideas in action! Lol

redsquirrel said:
putt4doe said:
redsquirrel said:

Great idea!

Just need to find time to put all my ideas in action! Lol

Story of my life!!

Here's how I use my camera arm:

7f015fc846985c0a87e9bca1df807ef8.jpg

d02eef509afedb7a7c3deb1147b8f48b.jpg

putt4doe said:
Story of my life!!

Thats definitely impressive to make all that come together! Good stuff!

Story of my life!!

[/quote]

That's exactly how I set up. I even had a Hoyt Faktor last year as well :lol: I'll take some pics of my rig in the next couple weeks. Our season starts Sept 26th.

I've been dabbling in film a tad for a few years but nothing too serious. I did take a course in final cut and filming. Problem has been lack of quality equipment and processing power to edit.

Just a week ago I bought a nikon DSLR and was given a laptop capable of editing.

We shall see. I'm more into the story telling side than filming traditional hunting tv. I find so much of it way too cheesy. Recreation of shots, talking to the camera like the crowd is a brain dead moron. Talk to the camera like it's your buddy. The whole "here we are with Joe schmoe stick around and we will see what happens" is too artificial and robotic. Who talks to people that way?

Way too much emphasis is on the kill. So much so the other footage tells no story. I'm surprised there's as many hunting shows exist that do. Very few have it right in my opinion.

Meat eater, solo hunters, on your own, sitka films, donny Vincent... that's how you do this right. I don't care how pretty these women on these shows currently are, they have zero personality.

Btw I did enjoy the videos here. Kill what you want and who cares what others think!

Back