• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle hunting for big guys

hoyt.bowhunter.1

SH Member
Looking to get into saddle hunting. I'm 6-3 285 is there any big guys out there that use saddles and other gear for them

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Looking to get into saddle hunting. I'm 6-3 285 is there any big guys out there that use saddles and other gear for them

I’m in the same boat
6’5 275
Aero hunter kestrel flex
Wild edge stepps
No issues or close calls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife has the Tethrd mantis
I’m sure it would work but sure as hell isnt made as robustly as the kestrel flex is.
I don’t like heights really (strange I know) I got used to treestands and took a leap of faith with the saddle but the only way u can fall is if u don’t hook in a rope but u would know that long before leaning back enough to fall

6' 270 I purchased a JX3 Hybrid this year and love it. You can sit, stand, lean very comfortable. I also use it to back in my cold weather gear so I don't get hot while walking in to my stand. Check them out it might be what you are looking for.

6'3", 250, probably 275 or more with all my gear on, no probs. I'm switching from Tethrd Mantis to either Kestrel Flex or Wild Edge Yarak if I can get one. Switching not due to any problems with the Mantis necessarily, have just heard the others are more comfortable for us fluffier dudes. Plus that little shoestring of a bridge on the Mantis just makes me nervous. I'm positive it's as strong as claimed, it's just a little counterintuitive to trust all that weight to something the size of my hoodie drawstring.... If you're going to use Wild Edge Stepps and the Perch, (I highly recommend both btw), be sure to watch Greg Staggs' video on how to kind of over-cam the step used as the base for your Perch, this made a big difference in the Perch's stability. Also, in general, watch the Wild Edge released how to videos on attaching the Stepps, I've seen some other people taking shortcuts, and I don't trust a shortcut to what's already really easy and was the approach designed by the DESIGNER.

Buy climbing rated items looking at both static and dynamic strength, and don't go cheap on anything that will bear your weight, you get what you pay for, so if you pay not much, you'll probably get, well, dead.....I'd also just say don't necessarily follow the trends out there with drilling everything out to make it lighter. We're big guys, and you put a little side load on something rated for 350-400 lbs that has had it's longitudinal strength compromised by material being removed, it's going to fold on you, esp with sticks and things like that. Have fun and as always practice low and slow and work your way up!

6'3", 250, probably 275 or more with all my gear on, no probs. I'm switching from Tethrd Mantis to either Kestrel Flex or Wild Edge Yarak if I can get one. Switching not due to any problems with the Mantis necessarily, have just heard the others are more comfortable for us fluffier dudes. Plus that little shoestring of a bridge on the Mantis just makes me nervous. I'm positive it's as strong as claimed, it's just a little counterintuitive to trust all that weight to something the size of my hoodie drawstring.... If you're going to use Wild Edge Stepps and the Perch, (I highly recommend both btw), be sure to watch Greg Staggs' video on how to kind of over-cam the step used as the base for your Perch, this made a big difference in the Perch's stability. Also, in general, watch the Wild Edge released how to videos on attaching the Stepps, I've seen some other people taking shortcuts, and I don't trust a shortcut to what's already really easy and was the approach designed by the DESIGNER.

Buy climbing rated items looking at both static and dynamic strength, and don't go cheap on anything that will bear your weight, you get what you pay for, so if you pay not much, you'll probably get, well, dead.....I'd also just say don't necessarily follow the trends out there with drilling everything out to make it lighter. We're big guys, and you put a little side load on something rated for 350-400 lbs that has had it's longitudinal strength compromised by material being removed, it's going to fold on you, esp with sticks and things like that. Have fun and as always practice low and slow and work your way up!

Hey man
You will LOVE the flex
Yarak gains you no visible advantage over the flex

I like my wild edge steps a lot
Just not the perch
I have size 16 feet and the top teeth on the perch always scoot away from the tree
I got the ridge runner and the ambush , much better
Yes there are different methods to cam over the step but the ropes need to stretch for awhile to get any creep out
Just wanted to throw that out there
I tried and tried to make it work, but never could get the ropes to stretch enough (I lift and do physical labor daily )

Did u do a rope swap?

Also I agree, the bikini string amsteel bridge does not look or feel secure . You will love the predator line.
Also my Flex came from the factory with an adjustable bridge
So U can enjoy all new “hype” without the hype and feel extremely safe while doing it

Be safe, my plus sized tree dwelling brethren!
Big guys need to get saddle Hangtime too !

I was in same boat last year. 6' 270lb. Sat in a buddy of mine (way smaller) Mantis. Loved the concept, hated the fit. Called the guys at New Breed asking about Krestle Flex, put a order in that day and haven't looked back since.

I went with the adjustable bridge and back band. No complaints so far. I use the muddy pros for sticks. I sat 6hrs the other weekend in mine. Of course I took brakes and actually sat some, but for the majority of time I lean.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hey man
You will LOVE the flex
Yarak gains you no visible advantage over the flex

I like my wild edge steps a lot
Just not the perch
I have size 16 feet and the top teeth on the perch always scoot away from the tree
I got the ridge runner and the ambush , much better
Yes there are different methods to cam over the step but the ropes need to stretch for awhile to get any creep out
Just wanted to throw that out there
I tried and tried to make it work, but never could get the ropes to stretch enough (I lift and do physical labor daily )

Did u do a rope swap?

Also I agree, the bikini string amsteel bridge does not look or feel secure . You will love the predator line.
Also my Flex came from the factory with an adjustable bridge
So U can enjoy all new “hype” without the hype and feel extremely safe while doing it

Be safe, my plus sized tree dwelling brethren!
Big guys need to get saddle Hangtime too !

I’m really wanting to try the flex. Seems like the deal for bigger is bigger frame guys.

I’m really wanting to try the flex. Seems like the deal for bigger is bigger frame guys.

U gotta do it
It’s the best
Even if ur not big frame it’s great but especially for big frame!

U gotta do it
It’s the best
Even if ur not big frame it’s great but especially for big frame!

I got a lead on one. Gotta see if it works out. I’ll report back if I can snag it.

Good evening and great info out here----

Im very new, but wanting to jump in head first. How does Flex compare to the new Tethrd set up as far as fit for bigger guys?
It is presented to be a better fit, but not sure if that is for everyone?

thanks

Allen

I was looking, don't see anyone around central Oklahoma that has one that I can even try.

Would love to know if I am going to be comfortable in it, most of my time is spent looking behind the tree, turned around in a stand anyway, so I am use to a tree in my way. Right now if they are on the wrong side I have to pull my legs back to the ladder area and then off the other side of the ladder stand to get on them, so I am flailing legs all over while trying to turn in my seat, all while trying to not scare them away. Or, I am standing in the hang on and I don't like standing between the seat and the edge as I feel overly exposed, so I keep the seat facing me and stand and look around the tree to where I expect them, or I sit facing the tree to relax and see next to nothing.

Ugh, decisions decisions........

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Back