• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle hunting in ice and rain

Lycomingflyfisher

I have been practicing one stick climbing and rappelling as this will be my first season using this setup. I am using predator line for tether, I have an 8mm sewn eye that I have been using a few different friction hitches and then rappelling with a figure 8.

My question is how well do the friction hitches work in rainy and/or icy conditions? Are any of the mechanical devices better suited for use in wet and cold conditions?

I've rappelled in icy and wet conditions like 20+ times now. Never by choice, but it happens. I feel a whole bunch better about a setup with a figure 8 than I do anything mechanical or an ATC. And here's why, with a figure 8, I can do the traditional one loop through and then go into rescue mode by taking the line through the main hole (big hole) and around the neck again, thus doubling my friction. I hunt with a mechanical device but always carry a friction hitch cord and figure 8 in case things get western.

My intent this year is to go back to hunting on a schwebisch hitch and then rappelling on my figure 8, probably the same way you do. The hitch grabs just fine in wet, freezing condition and I would trust the hitch/8 combo FAR more than a single mechanical device that I'm already using again manufacturer guidelines. I think you're on the right track with this question and you already have the best setup for the job. Just don't drop your 8 plate.

Yep, I learned the munter hitch before ever climbomg to height with the figure 8.

In the event your your rope gets wet, lets say an all day rain. How critical is it to dry before the next use or to prolong its useful life? I know some ropes are more hydrophobic than others but are there any general guidelines?

I know they don't dry out overnight if you forget and leave them wrapped up in a pouch... lol

Back