• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Hunting in the Rain (Wet Saddle)

mylsuhat

Hey guys, very new to saddle hunting but what do yall do about hunting in the rain and having a wet saddle. I have good Cabelas rain gear and don't mind going out in the rain but I can see an issue of the saddle not drying out in time for the next hunt. Any tips/tricks/suggestions?

Put the rain gear on, put the saddle on, hunt...
For the following hunt: Put the rain gear on, put the saddle on, hunt...

If it really is good rain gear, you will never know the saddle was wet. :laughing:

All joking aside, I hang wet gear in my basement between a big box fan on high and a dehumidifier on high. Dries out pretty quick...

I used our dehumidifier over night with the saddle hanging close to it. It took about 4 hours to go from dripping to dry.
My hunting shop is about 10-15 foot long and about 4 foot wide. I use the dehumidifier and shut the door. Everything but rubber boots get dried. Works better than a dryer in my opinion.

I'm hunting remote this time of year with no access to a dryer. It always seems to rain/snow these weeks. I actually have more issues keeping tethers, bridge and rappel ropes dry. The wet saddle I can deal with . . .frozen ropes, not so much fun. I hang them off a drawer in the camper in front of the heater vent hoping for a little drying.

I'm hunting remote this time of year with no access to a dryer. It always seems to rain/snow these weeks. I actually have more issues keeping tethers, bridge and rappel ropes dry. The wet saddle I can deal with . . .frozen ropes, not so much fun. I hang them off a drawer in the camper in front of the heater vent hoping for a little drying.
Gotta use some waterproofing on the safety gear. I use snow seal on my tube webbing tether/bridge. If you not wanting to add that they make other types of water proofing for ropes and such. Nikwax makes a wash-in waterproofing for synthetic ropes that works really well and does *not* stiffen the rope in the cold.

Last edited:
Back