• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Hunting in Trees with Lots of Branches?

shmcleod

Hey there Saddle Hunters-

I am new to this site and new to saddle hunting, so wanted to ask some questions that immediately came to my mind as I dug into saddle hunting. I live in Utah so all of my hunting is Deer and Elk on public land in big, western country. I LOVE the idea of a saddle because of its mobility. I have come to hunt more an more out of trees because a lot of my hunting is in heavily pressured areas and I've learned patience and stealth can be my best strategies. But hauling a tree stand out into high country / new country is not very fun, as we all know!

That said, as I dig into Saddle Hunting, it looks amazing for eastern and mid-western hunting in all the deciduous trees where, once you set up, you have 360 degree shooting ability. But what are people's experience in trees like Aspens / Lodge Pole Pines/ Ponderosa Pines, etc. Trees that have lots of branches?

My hunch, and why i am interested in saddle hunting, is that the answer is: "well, you might not have 360 shooting lanes in a pine tree, but you will have a light weight set up that won't be any worse than a tree stand in terms of shoot-ability, and in many cases might be better.." Is that right?

A related question: in trees with branches, do you need a platform for your feet, or can you just use the tree limbs?

I like being tucked in among limbs for cover. And yes, I definitely stand on limbs as much as possible. Always be tethered in first.

a33f3fa0d65dba4895c97f87aab76b43.jpg

0427a9bb844058f6743e1410ede761d2.jpg

I haven't tried it yet (still waiting on some gear), but I think our western aspens will be awesome for saddle hangin'. The places I hunt have large mature aspen forests with lots of trunks in the 10" - 18" in diameter range, and a fairly high branch & leaf canopy with not a lot of limbs to climb around on the way up. The younger aspen groves aren't nearly as good. Nor are most pines (except maybe lodgepoles which are found in a few areas). And there aren't many other climbable trees until you get to much lower elevations near river bottoms. We have such an early archery season that most deer & elk are still high. So I think the aspens will pretty much be our go to saddle trees in most of Utah.

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Pic4.jpg
    Pic4.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Pic5.jpg
    Pic5.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Popular loose their leafs quickly so they are tough. Sometimes, though, they grow in rather tight bunches of trees which may break up your outline. I think tree selection is often one of the most underestimated parts to stand hunting. I would much prefer to get 5 foot off the ground in a multi trunked tree that totally destroys my silhouette than I would getting 25 foot up on a telephone pole. Yep you might loose some shooting opportunities, it happens, but I would rather have them walk by with no clue I was there than to get busted. Down here in TX and S OK, most of our tree canopy is at the 15 -25 foot level. You crawl up into that and you better have shooting lanes trimmed.... and our leaf drop doesn't occur in most years until into Nov. I often find myself 10-15 foot up in a multi-trunked tree until late Nov.

As far as branches, yep use them, just make sure you test them and you are tied in at all times. I have several like this that i will use a branch as a step and or a platform.... most of the time though I still find a way to strap in my Predator and then use the extra limbs for added mobility. I can sit here and think of many trees where my platform is on one fork and my tether tied to another, or to a branch.

I have a much lower percentage being picked off at lower heights (you would think the opposite) than I do 20-25 foot high - probably because I am more exposed up high and movement is easily detected from a distance.

Last edited:
Bow or gun?
Gun requires a lot less clearance than what you need for a bow. In fact limbs with a gun become rifle rests, but those same limbs can make it impossible to shoot a bow. And hole size to shoot thru with a bow are much more critical...it takes a lot more clearance for an arrow path that a bullet needs. I'm assuming you can't cut branches on the public land that you are hunting.

That being said, I agree 100% with Dave. I'd rather hunt low among cover than hunt higher with no cover.

Probably the biggest concern about hunting trees with lots of branches is your climb. Make sure you practice a secondary method of attachment when you need to go around branches. It will be tempting to say "Screw the lineman's belt" when you have a couple dozen branches during the climb. It's risk management. Personally, and I don't advise anyone else do what I do, I do take some calculated risks in trees, but that's me...do as I say, not as I do. I know some guys are cringing at the thoughts of not being continually attached to the tree 100% of the time. Continuous attachment is the only safe climbing technique. I will say that I take a lot fewer risks than I used to. Heck, 30 years ago, we stood on branches while wearing no harness whatsoever. Yikes!
One thing for absolute certain...Don't ever be disconnected from the tree while standing on a branch!

I think tree selection is often one of the most underestimated parts to stand hunting.
You said it, brother!
That's why saddles are so great. I've spent hours during preseason prep work walking around a tiny patch trying to figure out which tree will work with my old lock-ons. Seems like it's always something...the tree close enough to the expected shot is either too small, or leans too much, or leans in the wrong direction, or it's directly over the trail, or, or, or.....
Saddles open up a whole new world of possibilities when it come to tree selection.

You said it, brother!
That's why saddles are so great. I've spent hours during preseason prep work walking around a tiny patch trying to figure out which tree will work with my old lock-ons. Seems like it's always something...the tree close enough to the expected shot is either too small, or leans too much, or leans in the wrong direction, or it's directly over the trail, or, or, or.....
Saddles open up a whole new world of possibilities when it come to tree selection.

Agree. I still use my LWs from time to time, but always prefer a saddle.

I think one problem many make is they try to do too much with one stand location and over think it. PICK A TRAIL/TRAVEL LANE, you believe the buck to use, forget about all the other options that "could happen" and hunt using the wind based off your target. If he uses another trail and you get busted - admit you made a poor choice and find out why he used the one he did. In time your % of picking the right option will go up. I used to drive myself nutty thinking...this tree would work for this wind, but if he came here …….. Pick the most likely scenario and press on with the best tree, with the best cover, using the best wind entry and then hunt hard :)

Last edited:
That would be so much fun...... my thoughts, a saddle, and figure out the one stick method for climbing, use one of the shorter stocks with an aider of some sorts. Not sure what most ROS setups weigh vs a predator platform, but that might be a good light weight setup for out by you.

With that many saddlehunters hanging around and a couple high powered rifles from a distance the middle of the herd may not be the best place to be lol. Assuming the rounds and arrows pass through of course.

Looks like a good spot for a saddle palooza

I thinks it’s funny that y’all think dalton916 will leave any for ya

Back