• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle hunting with a lock on tree stand

Westdesign03

SH Member
I’m curious how much you guys that use a lock on tree stand for saddle hunting use it as a platform to lean against vs turn around and sit down on the seat of the stand like a traditional tree stand. Do you do both during a hunt? If so, do you wear only your saddle for all of this or do you also wear a safety harness with your saddle? Just wondering how the safety factor plays in to using a lock on this way. I know a saddle isn’t really intended to be a safety device like a harness is. Just wondering how it all works for you guys that do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear my saddle all the time. My safety harness has been shoved to the back of the gear closet.
When I'm on a lock on, I seldom sit on the seat but if I do, I make sure the slack is adjusted out of my tether anytime I go from one position to the other.
With my Kestrel, I can finally start feeling a little hip pinch late on an all day hang. After about 8 hours of hanging, it does feel nice to sit down.
But with my Recon Sling, I can hang dawn till dark and be comfortable. No need to sit down with the sling.

My buddy and I overlap a fee properties where we hunt. He doesn’t hunt from a saddle and pre set hang on tree stands that he hunts from are not at all comfortable to me so I saddle up and use the seat of the tree stand as part of my platform setup. Usually the tree stand is set up to have the best shot opportunities but leave you exposed so I set up on the other side of the tree and can use the tree stand seat for foot placement if I need to move around the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back