• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle or Harness?

MAHunter

Nov 19, 2020
Curious if any hunters use a rock climbing harness instead of a saddle? Ive rock climbed for years and have a nice harness. I cant imagine it wouldnt work for this application but was curious if anyone has put it to the test and compared the two.

preslar1

Oct 9, 2019
I asked the same question a year or so ago. I was informed that when rock climbing, you're being active and using legs and shifting weigh==allowing sufficient blood flow. If you sit stationary or with minimal movement for long periods of time, you could do tissue damage from the restriction.

Throw in a $25-$30 sit drag saddle and run with it. The two combined gives you the safety(rock harness) along with some pretty decent comfort(sit/drag). I can vouch for the setup as I'm currently using it.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

MAHunter

Nov 19, 2020
I asked the same question a year or so ago. I was informed that when rock climbing, you're being active and using legs and shifting weigh==allowing sufficient blood flow. If you sit stationary or with minimal movement for long periods of time, you could do tissue damage from the restriction.

Throw in a $25-$30 sit drag saddle and run with it. The two combined gives you the safety(rock harness) along with some pretty decent comfort(sit/drag). I can vouch for the setup as I'm currently using it.

I assume you run the Sit Drag over the harness? Ive seen some clips where guys only use the sit drag. But that didnt strike me as very safe. You are basically sitting in an ass hammock.

Reactions: preslar1

preslar1

Oct 9, 2019
Yes. I put my rock harness on, snug it down then put the sit drag on over it. I have a belt on mine, I cinch it tight just above the loop on the harness. The setup works pretty good. If you have a sewing machine, you can modify the sit drag to fit your needs and not have to worry about jeopardizing your safety. Setup two prusiks and carabiners on your tether. One from the sit drag bridge and one to clip into the harness.
84a8b66dc9af0f48078dbdc349d6cd35.jpg
031a7f8db60f858fb78e8d368989c2b0.jpg

preslar1

Oct 9, 2019
I assume you run the Sit Drag over the harness? Ive seen some clips where guys only use the sit drag. But that didnt strike me as very safe. You are basically sitting in an ass hammock.
I've also seen guys use only the sit drag. Too much risk for me in stick form. I want to add some webbing to reinforce everything and do away with the harness, but I've grown comfortable with it. I don't plan to change setups unless my wife gives into my Christmas list. Looking at a TreeHopper Recon.

MAHunter

Nov 19, 2020
Thats a good looking setup. Do u use a the smaller piece of looped rope for a prusik knot tender so you can use it one handed?

Ckwilli

SH Member
Oct 15, 2019
Yes. I put my rock harness on, snug it down then put the sit drag on over it. I have a belt on mine, I cinch it tight just above the loop on the harness. The setup works pretty good. If you have a sewing machine, you can modify the sit drag to fit your needs and not have to worry about jeopardizing your safety. Setup two prusiks and carabiners on your tether. One from the sit drag bridge and one to clip into the harness.
84a8b66dc9af0f48078dbdc349d6cd35.jpg
031a7f8db60f858fb78e8d368989c2b0.jpg

I use the same RCH with a sit drag. I sewed on some straps to hold the sit drag in place . Works well and is very comfortable. Before the RCH I used a sit drag with my gorilla safety vest. The RCH is much more comfortable but I've sat for four hours in the gorilla with no issues.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Reactions: preslar1

preslar1

Oct 9, 2019
Thats a good looking setup. Do u use a the smaller piece of looped rope for a prusik knot tender so you can use it one handed?
I have something similar on my linemans rope but not on my tether. Not sure how it could work on my tether with zero slack to pull up. I keep the second prusik spretty snug in the rock harness.

preslar1

Oct 9, 2019
I use a cheap-o walmart/DG carabiner for a tender on my linemans. Its dort cheap and works great too.
0c7237cd6fb9e15e8033c2bdb9d24213.jpg

Reactions: Ckwilli

MAHunter

Nov 19, 2020
I use a cheap-o walmart/DG carabiner for a tender on my linemans. Its dort cheap and works great too.

Ive seen guys use a short piece of paracord for this as well. Lightweight and no metal to "clink" of off.

preslar1

Oct 9, 2019
I understand eliminating possible metal contact, but some take it to the extreme. Setting my climbing sticks or primal steps make more noise than the carabiner-tender would ever make. If it was a resonating sound like a bell or gong, sure I would take extreme measures.

Reactions: Buckkillr