• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle or Platform

Alud555

I'm currently using a sit drag/RCH and a primal plywood platform. I like both of my options but see the benefits of getting something better. Should I get a commercial saddle or platform first?

I don't like bulk of the rch and I think I'd rather have a better platform. Those are my cons.

I realize I don't have to buy anything but just wanted to get opinions.

I'm currently using a sit drag/RCH and a primal plywood platform. I like both of my options but see the benefits of getting something better. Should I get a commercial saddle or platform first?

I don't like bulk of the rch and I think I'd rather have a better platform. Those are my cons.

I realize I don't have to buy anything but just wanted to get opinions.
Which one are you better at doing sewing or welding? Whichever one you are better at doing get the opposite from the factory and then you can build the other one! That way you get your cake and can eat it too!!!! LOL

I would buy a saddle 1st.
Eventually, you may find you want several different types of platforms or ROS for different applications, but you can't utilize any of those choices without the saddle.

And there's another use for saddles that is seldom mentioned... how great it is to hang conventional hang-on type stands with a saddle. I spent a lot of years hanging lock-on stands with a traditional harness and lineman's belt. The LB always seems to be in the way of setting the stand. Plus, all your weight is on your feet while doing the installation, and it's difficult to reposition yourself or the stand during installation.
Try hanging a stand while being tethered and you'll think you died and went to heaven. It's more efficient, it's safer, it's less tiring and easier on the feet, and you can actually hang there for a few minutes and look around to get a feel for you choice of the tree and other aspects of the location without feeling hurried to get the stand hung like is often the case when using a LB.
Saddles are a great tool.

What is it that you don’t like about the Primal/Plywood? Size? Packability?
For me a platform that allows me to sit/lean and support my feet and allow me to shoot at any angle is good. But the size, shape and adjustability of a saddle can make or break a hunt

Personally I would just suck it up and get both at the same time. I see them as kind of a system that’s meant to work together. I wouldn’t want to buy a brand new car with used almost bald tires. Maybe not a great analogy but you get the idea hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which one are you better at doing sewing or welding? Whichever one you are better at doing get the opposite from the factory and then you can build the other one! That way you get your cake and can eat it too!!!! LOL
What is it that you don’t like about the Primal/Plywood? Size? Packability?
For me a platform that allows me to sit/lean and support my feet and allow me to shoot at any angle is good. But the size, shape and adjustability of a saddle can make or break a hunt
I feel like a commercial platform would be more stable. Am I wrong?

I'm leaning toward the saddle first. I'm ok with my platform but wanted to get people's opinions.

Alot of guys(me included) have made their own and they work fine for what they are but as far as stability you might want a commercially made one just make sure it is the right one!!!

I'm leaning toward the saddle first. I'm ok with my platform but wanted to get people's opinions.
Personally one of my favorite and most comfortable saddles is my homemade Wraptor type saddle but mine is a hybrid between the Wraptor and the Recon but they are super easy and stupid cheap to make but you have to do your research to make sure you do it safely!!! Safety is our main concern!!

Stability can be unique to an individual tree. One type of platform may lock tight on a particular spot on a particular tree and another brand/style may just not work out quite as well.
There's several criteria to consider when choosing a stand...
Price (it doesn't matter how good it is if it's not in your budget).
Packability (how will you transport it and how far).
Dependability (does it easily go on the majority of trees each and every time, and is it quiet)
System friendliness (can you develop a bomb proof system of packing it, carrying it, unpacking it, ascending the tree with it, hanging it, and undoing everything after the hunt). Gear has to be user friendly in all aspects or you'll find reasons to dislike it.

Personally one of my favorite and most comfortable saddles is my homemade Wraptor type saddle but mine is a hybrid between the Wraptor and the Recon but they are super easy and stupid cheap to make but you have to do your research to make sure you do it safely!!! Safety is our main concern!!
Stability can be unique to an individual tree. One type of platform may lock tight on a particular spot on a particular tree and another brand/style may just not work out quite as well.
There's several criteria to consider when choosing a stand...
Price (it doesn't matter how good it is if it's not in your budget).
Packability (how will you transport it and how far).
Dependability (does it easily go on the majority of trees each and every time, and is it quiet)
System friendliness (can you develop a bomb proof system of packing it, carrying it, unpacking it, ascending the tree with it, hanging it, and undoing everything after the hunt). Gear has to be user friendly in all aspects or you'll find reasons to dislike it.
That's a good point. I'm new to saddle hunting so still trying to find the best tree. It just seems that a predator style platform bites faster and easier than having to cam my step over. It could just be a lack of practice too

Perhaps, but it’s relative to individual tree types and size. I am very good at locking my primal/plywood on and keeping it very stable, but I have had it feel wonky on deep bark trees, like elm. It may require several attempts to solidify the cam over. I’ve used it for 3 years. A $12 platform has allowed me to stretch my money elsewhere in my hunting budget

I wish I could trust myself but, I don't...

Back