• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle paddle set up advice

I want to do an afternoon hunt on the SE finger. Terrain makes the approach difficult.
I figure with a E-S wind I could paddle to the mouth and cover it off with my rifle. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only one way to know is to try. I hunt around a lake also at first I would try to hunt back in the cove with the wind blowing my scent over the water. The only problem was that the deer would come down the bank behind me got busted every time. Had to back out the points to get my scent going in my favor. Good luck

What about setting up to cross cut the wind and move slow. Like snails pace, 2-3 steps at a time. It's not a saddle hunt but you could hunt with a rifle cross cutting the wind and figure out what's going on.

1st instinct would be to hunt the area with a South wind...but that would make that slope a leeward wind area (low pressure and swirling behavior)
I'm learning that those leeward slopes can be torture and really unpredictable. The steepness of that slope in relation to the ridge height and wind speed can actually make a south wind suck back up the slope and create an OPPOSITE wind direction. I really cant believe guys cant envision how wind compares to river flows. Watch how water flows over and around river structure. The same thing happens with wind flowing over terrain structure.

But that reverse draw of wind can sometimes create an updraft which can make a spot gold. And that behavior will change according to how high on the slope you are and wind speed.
Also, a slight change in angle of prevailing wind can goof up wind behavior.
I think that a 45 degree angle coming over the ridge can be the worst thing. It leads to the craziest patterns on a leeward slope.
90 degrees tends to suck straight up slope. Those angle winds across terrain are killers. They roll and swirl.
This is yet another example of how "just hunting the wind" is a load of crap.

Back