• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle rookie

Davis21

Glad to be apart of the forum, been following for a while now. Trying to transition off the stands to the saddle. Just picked up first rock harness and thinking about getting the sit drag to try it out.. main concern is the comfort vs. a loc on and climber. What I’ve been reading about has almost got me convinced. The mantis system has me really interested but I’ve seen where the Quidos web hybrid is about to hit the market. Mantis vs web, which would be a good one to jump into for a rookie??

I would go with the sit drag to see if you will like it for this season. Then make a decision for next year. Not certain you could get either of your 2 choices of saddles for at least a month or more. Having said that I have the Mantis and it will be my first full season in it. I tried a preacher's seat last year. I didn't like it and made my own sit drag this spring. I really liked it and will continue to use it, however, I will be exclusively using the Mantis.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Thanks, I think that will be the best route to go. Without spending to much on testing the waters, what would you say is the most comfortable platform system?

I am not going to use 1...I am planning on using Wild edge steps. I may look into it next year though. Saddle this year and platform next to keep costs down

Just to be clear you are using WE steps this year so that will be your platform?

2-3 WE steps with two small 2x4s glued together on the back side of bigger trees (connected to a rope from a WE step).

I played with the WE step platform idea but couldn't get it to cam over properly. I may play with the old school diy platform idea. I think it will work really well with presets next year.

Wild wedge steps look pretty cool. I may just use the top steps on my hawk helium’s and see how that feels

That may work but you may need something to help move around larger trees. There are a lot of other options.

Back