• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

saddle scent elimination

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunthRd20

After last season I stored my saddle inside along with all my ropes. any good ideas on how to eliminate the scent it has gathered.

I’m with @parkersdad on this one: storing it with your gear is about all you can do besides a quick dowse in H2O with your hunting detergent or spraying the crack-and-Peter-contact areas with Dead Down Wind, if that’s your jam.
Anything that spends that much time on and around your privates is gonna stink eventually.

Ropes and fabric of your saddles will be absorbing oils from your hands overtime. A gentle hand wash in a bucket of water and mild detergent (dawn) will take care of it. Dawn adds some scent, you could use orange or something if concerned. By like others, I’m not a scent guy, work the wind as much as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Just hunt the wind" my ass...sorry guys.
Yeah, hunt wind as best as you can, but you know it will screw you when you least want it to.
In addition to hunting wind, minimize odors anywhere and everywhere that is feasible.
I launder my saddle with unscented detergent set on the handwash cycle of the washer.
In between launderings, I give it an O3 treatment.

"Just hunt the wind" my ass...sorry guys.
Yeah, hunt wind as best as you can, but you know it will screw you when you least want it to.
In addition to hunting wind, minimize odors anywhere and everywhere that is feasible.
I launder my saddle with unscented detergent set on the handwash cycle of the washer.
In between launderings, I give it an O3 treatment.
And no amount of scent control will save you

For those that have a scent control regimen that works and don't have t hunt the wind, here's what I do with my saddle. I fill my washtub about halfway with hot water and put a couple cap fulls of Arm & Hammer no perfumes/no dyes hypoallergenic scent free detergent in the water. I swish it around and then put my saddle, lead rope, climbing rope, bow rope, fanny pack for my strap on rope steps, my strap on rope steps, and any other fabric items in it and let them soak overnight. In fact I did it last night and the stuff is still in the tub. This evening I will drain the tub and rinse the stuff off with hot water for a while and then fill the tub up and let it soak in clean water overnight. Tomorrow I'll hang everything outside to dry for a week or so and will then put my saddle and ropes in my ScentLok backpack and my steps in the washed in scent free detergent fanny pack and put both packs in an air tight container. Then I'm done with that for the year. I always handle everything with ScentLok gloves and when hunting in my saddle its always outside my exterior ScentLok clothing so I have no worries about it having any human odor on it all season. Takes a little time up front, but once it's washed and dried and put away, it's of no concern for the remainder of the season.

Doesn’t the ozone treatment destroy fabric? That’s the last piece of fabric I’d be wanting to degrade... just hand wash it in a bucket and be done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those that have a scent control regimen that works and don't have t hunt the wind, here's what I do with my saddle. I fill my washtub about halfway with hot water and put a couple cap fulls of Arm & Hammer no perfumes/no dyes hypoallergenic scent free detergent in the water. I swish it around and then put my saddle, lead rope, climbing rope, bow rope, fanny pack for my strap on rope steps, my strap on rope steps, and any other fabric items in it and let them soak overnight. In fact I did it last night and the stuff is still in the tub. This evening I will drain the tub and rinse the stuff off with hot water for a while and then fill the tub up and let it soak in clean water overnight. Tomorrow I'll hang everything outside to dry for a week or so and will then put my saddle and ropes in my ScentLok backpack and my steps in the washed in scent free detergent fanny pack and put both packs in an air tight container. Then I'm done with that for the year. I always handle everything with ScentLok gloves and when hunting in my saddle its always outside my exterior ScentLok clothing so I have no worries about it having any human odor on it all season. Takes a little time up front, but once it's washed and dried and put away, it's of no concern for the remainder of the season.
Not to be a smart ***, but if your saddle doesn’t have human scent on it all year, why do you find the need to wash it at the beginning of the year? Were you not as careful the last hunt of the season or just afraid dirt will degrade material over time?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back