• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Shape!

Squatch

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Now that most of our deer seasons are winding to an end, what is everyone doing to either get in shape for next season or stay in shape

My wife and I switched to keto 7 days ago
Also going to the gym and putting an hour on the treadmill each night before showering then bed.
We plan to mix in weight lifting and various different other forms of strength training next week to do after our hour on the treadmill

Interested to hear other ideas

Keto is awesome
Keto flu not so much
Past it now though and losing weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I got fluffy over the holidays. Season isn't over, but I've been walking before and after work and at lunch. I like to walk, and that's generally the most intense part of my hunting.

Youth is still in my side. Cutting back on holiday sweets and spirits combined with a little light exercise should put me back in saddle shape. :)

I got fluffy over the holidays. Season isn't over, but I've been walking before and after work and at lunch. I like to walk, and that's generally the most intense part of my hunting.

Youth is still in my side. Cutting back on holiday sweets and spirits combined with a little light exercise should put me back in saddle shape. :)

Haha! Yeah I’m no old man yet but I’ve allowed the dad bod to be embraced and here we are. I’m not in nasty shape or anything but I’ll be happy to lose 30 lbs
Of course I’ll
Probably put back on half that in muscle, but gotta start somewhere

I should also add that I fast from 5 pm until 1pm the next day in addition to 50g carbs or less per day
So my window to eat is 4 hours
I’m going to play with this and depending on how it goes I may switch that window to where the last 4 hours would start at around 7pm to catch a good fat burn on the treadmill

Keto is awesome
Keto flu is a B I T C Chhhhhhh
Past it now though and losing weight

Squatch - Been on "keto" for 13 months and have lost over 60lbs, which is putting me in at about 290. Got about another 40-50 down by next fall and I'll be happy! Biggest part of my journey was learning there are no keto foods! Find where you want to go and set your goals accordingly. I stay under 50 Net Carbs (total carbs - fiber or sugar alcohols= net carbs) since the body won't turn either into glucose. A great resource for me is ketogains.com . As long as I stay under 50 NCs, I can have anything I want such as mac/cheese with bbq! I also find that using an app (carbmanager, myfitnesspal, etc) makes me log everything I eat to keep myself on track. The other thing to remember is keep your protein high, you carbs low and just enough fat to keep the hunger away....don't eat extra fats to lose fat! I did this with just walking and biking but want to start lifting soon.

Finally, make sure you are drinking at least 100oz of water a day and getting enough magnesium, salt and potassium..... THE REAL CURE to keto flu!!!

Good luck to ya! Kraig

Squatch - Been on "keto" for 13 months and have lost over 60lbs, which is putting me in at about 290. Got about another 40-50 down by next fall and I'll be happy! Biggest part of my journey was learning there are no keto foods! Find where you want to go and set your goals accordingly. I stay under 50 Net Carbs (total carbs - fiber or sugar alcohols= net carbs) since the body won't turn either into glucose. A great resource for me is ketogains.com . As long as I stay under 50 NCs, I can have anything I want such as mac/cheese with bbq! I also find that using an app (carbmanager, myfitnesspal, etc) makes me log everything I eat to keep myself on track. The other thing to remember is keep your protein high, you carbs low and just enough fat to keep the hunger away....don't eat extra fats to lose fat! I did this with just walking and biking but want to start lifting soon.

Finally, make sure you are drinking at least 100oz of water a day and getting enough magnesium, salt and potassium..... THE REAL CURE to keto flu!!!

Good luck to ya! Kraig

My favorite app for keto is Lifesum. Can scan anything and gives you the “keto” percentages.

I’ve been using Cronometer
It has every food I’ve searched so far
Initially it said to take 200 carbs a day but my settings were out of whack
I definitely want to stick with it
Also will be looking up these recommendations

I know folks that use that those apps to. The ketogains site has an excellent calculator to come up with specific recommendations based on your height, weight, etc...

I like this way of eating now that Ive gotten used to it, it really isn't that difficult. The best thing I learned is that there are NO CARBS in whiskey!!!!!

Yes I’ve been dabbing in a little whiskey at night to get sleepy and not think about eating lol

Good luck to ya! Kraig

I’m going to check out keto gains.com

I need to learn more about sugar and fiber alcohol? Haven’t heard that term yet

It worked for me too when I was your age. A bunch of years later, not so much. I've been watching what I eat and trying to stick to a 16-8 eating schedule.

Every deer season since I started remote camp hunting ( about 10 years now) I've lost 20 pounds between Oct 1st and Nov 15th. I have always gained it back pretty quick once I returned to my normal routine up until the last couple of years when I've made a fairly serious attempt to reduce my at work snacking.

I always attributed the loss to lowering my calorie intake, burning more energy walking and just staying warm while effectively living outdoors. I just heard from someone in the 250 challenge thread mention the 16-8 weight loss theory and realized it describes exactly what I do during my camping season. I get up, no breakfast and head out to hunt before light. Back in camp at noon I eat a light lunch, back out to the woods and in the tree by 3:00. Back in camp after dark for a dinner followed immediately by bed. Without trying I was only eating in an 8 hour window. I think there may be something to this. I'm trying to stick to this plan in this off season to see if it helps me maintain my weight loss this year. So far, so good . . .I'm down 40 pounds from the start of the 2018 deer season.

When I am on keto I go with an effort of 20g of carbs or less and 16 hours of intermittent fasting. At that I lose about 3lbs a week which is pretty awesome. A warning though even if alcohol can knock you out of ketosis even if your under your carbs

Back