• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle size importance, is to big ok?

Thetrueredneck

SH Member
Like the title states I am working to get my wife to try out saddle hunting, I have a Cruzer XC size 3 and a JX3 gen 1. She likes the hybrid ( who wouldn’t?? Lol ) but I keep thinking she may like the panel style too, she would mostly likely be a kids size but before I reach out to those that make the small ones for a price couldn’t she theoretically use mine to get a good feel for it?

Like the title states I am working to get my wife to try out saddle hunting, I have a Cruzer XC size 3 and a JX3 gen 1. She likes the hybrid ( who wouldn’t?? Lol ) but I keep thinking she may like the panel style too, she would mostly likely be a kids size but before I reach out to those that make the small ones for a price couldn’t she theoretically use mine to get a good feel for it?
There is a such thing as too big because of safety. If the saddle is too big, the waist belt won’t tighten or wear properly. Leg straps won’t seat in the right area or be able to be tightened and the lineman’s loops will be too far out beyond her hips to safely navigate her lineman rope. Another concern is walking in or climbing. If it’s too large the webbing will be all in the way during her climb.

I’ve found discomfort and hot spots come from oversized saddles most of the time. Single panel saddles are notorious for this for me. I thought buying oversized would be better when starting out years ago but I was wrong. Let her check it out, she should know pretty quick if it she experiences hot spots or hip pinch.

Remember the biggest thing to reduce hip pinch is that the bridge needs to come off the saddle as close ro 90* as you can. If your saddle is too wide, your bridge is going to come off as too sharp an angle leading to hip pinch

Thanks guys I figured the safety piece would come up and should have stated all things done at ground level. As for
No advice on soft saddles. But please, report back here after you’ve given your wife the most comfortable way to hunt, and taken it away trying to convince her to wear a soft saddle.

I’d like to know how that works out for you.

I was expecting this too lol. She does like this but I just want to make sure I give her all options.
Thanks again guys for the feedback!

Back