• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Sizing

angrybadger

I have a question in regards to saddle sizing. In reading the comments on the forum, it seems that if you are between two sizes that you should go with the larger size. Is there such a thing as having the saddle too big? I am a size 34 waist and was looking at the size 1 in aerohunter. I hunt in WI and don’t wear too bulky of clothing. I’ve read of folks going a size up and having no issues but I don’t want to have extra length, etc as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

I can’t speak for aero hunter products but if you are in between sizes on a mantis saddle and you size up, the saddle won’t swallow you. It may make the bridge feel a little longer compared to the smaller size but there is not much difference in dimensions from medium to large.

Thanks! I was looking at the large mantis as well

I still feel saddles are extremely difficult to size as there really is no way to measure ones rear lol!! Now i had a kestrel size 1 after running similar saddles from Newtribe always in the size 2. The size 1 was recommended from Newtribe which once in it found out that a size 2 felt better. Im a 34-36 inch waist not fat but my im built lol “not ford tough” i run 225lbs as well. I bought the large mantis as recommended and it worked however after playing with tether and all the various adjustments i ended up still getting slight pinch. Now this is also after having several sits some in the excess of 7-8 hrs. On a gamble i thought lets go up a size. I went with the xl mantis and magic happened. I have zero issues now and have 4 8hr sits in it. Now i use the large as a backup. Now no matter what way i choose to hang via sit or lean its solid for me.

I advocated to alot of new guys that use the size charts as a starting point. But body shape is generally a hard thing to measure and all the manufacturers of saddles have tried and done a good job at handling the issue however you first have to get in one and decide then. I hope this helps.

Back