• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle starter...

Skunkworkx

Ordered a Hawk Helium $209. (kit)

Now reading a lot of bad reviews...90% are with the ropes.
I'm fine with replacing ropes, already own a Ropeman1, and have LW steps.

SO... whats wrong with a Hawk Helium besides ropes ? What other (NEW) saddle for a "newbie"

If there is a problem with the ropes that's crap. Shouldn't have issues with anything life safety. But like any saddle, inspect it regularly and make sure the stitching isn't pooping. If your comfortable in it, keep hunting from it. Most of us on here do prefer to purchase American made products.

If there is a problem with the ropes that's crap. Shouldn't have issues with anything life safety. But like any saddle, inspect it regularly and make sure the stitching isn't pooping. If your comfortable in it, keep hunting from it. Most of us on here do prefer to purchase American made products.
As I would like to, but being new and not knowing IF I was going stick with it. Hate to spend $400+ to hang in hunting closet.

Edit: Done.

Last edited:
A lot of the hate you’ll get, I’m guilty as charged, is cuz it’s from a large soulless corporation and it’s Chinese made. I’d venture a guess most of us prefer smaller American made biz. I had a question about my flex I called Aerohunter and they put me on the phone with the person who sewed it. Much of the hate comes from it being mass produced with what we feel is the bare minimum necessary to make it safe, perhaps no testing and sewn by someone who doesn’t give a crap if it fails.
Now that I’ve completely crapped on it, ignore us saddle/gear snobs. It’s not a bad way to get into saddle hunting. It’ll afford you the opportunity to upgrade gear piece by piece as you see fit. Just double check the rigging and stitching and you’ll be fine.

Hey man rock it! If it’s comfy great if not try something else. Hawk gets a lot of hate because it’s Hawk. A lot of ppl use their sticks and love them.

OK, OK....just cancelled it.

Ordered a TX5 Rayder for about $40 more. Figured WTH...going to have to change ropes anyway at a minimum, now I'll just make new.

Be a few weeks before I get...so guess I'll stick with the climber and hang-ons for this season...........MAYBE ?

Last edited:
Don't overthink it. Get a saddle from a quality manufacturer and use it. You'll find issued with it, everyone does, so decide if you can modify your saddle to fix those issues or find another that addresses those issues.

Everyone's body is different so every saddle is different.

You can buy a muddy safe line and make ropes for $30 from Walmart
OK, OK....just cancelled it.

Ordered a TX5 Rayder for about $40 more. Figured WTH...going to have to change ropes anyway at a minimum, now I'll just make new.

Be a few weeks before I get...so guess I'll stick with the climber and hang-ons for this season...........MAYBE ?

Back