• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Stealth

Thanks to the advice you guys gave on my tree spur climb video I’m going up and down the tree very well now. It’s amazing what a little slack in that lineman’s belt will do.

Yesterday was pretty sweet. Went up 30 ft in a tree on top of a ridge. Had 3 does cruise the flat below me but it was too far for a shot. Had a spike come in behind them but he stayed higher on the ridge and passed right by my tree. He ended up bedding 25 yards from me. 45 minutes rolled around and I had to go. Tried throwing my hand warmer at him to no avail. He ignored it. So I thought, let’s see how quiet I can be getting down with these spurs. I lowered my bow and packed up all my camera gear keeping the tree between me and him. Went down the tree without making hardly a sound. Packed up my stuff without him noticing . He finally caught me after my bow hoist rope made some clicks as I reeled it in. He probably would’ve heard me as I walked away as the leaves were very crunchy.

That’s certainly something I could have never done with my climber. I’m loving the new set up and these spurs. Need to do some mods on them though since I’m using the original leather buckles. I’m not able to take them off in the stand and they get a little uncomfortable on my WE Stepps. But the stealth is awesome.

Thanks to the advice you guys gave on my tree spur climb video I’m going up and down the tree very well now. It’s amazing what a little slack in that lineman’s belt will do.

Yesterday was pretty sweet. Went up 30 ft in a tree on top of a ridge. Had 3 does cruise the flat below me but it was too far for a shot. Had a spike come in behind them but he stayed higher on the ridge and passed right by my tree. He ended up bedding 25 yards from me. 45 minutes rolled around and I had to go. Tried throwing my hand warmer at him to no avail. He ignored it. So I thought, let’s see how quiet I can be getting down with these spurs. I lowered my bow and packed up all my camera gear keeping the tree between me and him. Went down the tree without making hardly a sound. Packed up my stuff without him noticing . He finally caught me after my bow hoist rope made some clicks as I reeled it in. He probably would’ve heard me as I walked away as the leaves were very crunchy.

That’s certainly something I could have never done with my climber. I’m loving the new set up and these spurs. Need to do some mods on them though since I’m using the original leather buckles. I’m not able to take them off in the stand and they get a little uncomfortable on my WE Stepps. But the stealth is awesome.
You using the hawk gear hoist?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

That’s good new Travis! You’ll keep getting better the more reps you put in. I wish I could give you more advise on thanking the spurs off in the tree. Some times I do and sometimes I don’t. It sure saves a lot of trouble just leaving them on. I think like climbing, if you leave them on often enough, after a while you get used to them being there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty awesome how quiet you can be! The last two years i've climbed with spurs and set up on bedded bucks that were less than 50 yards away. I don't feel I could ever do that with a stand.

That’s good new Travis! You’ll keep getting better the more reps you put in. I wish I could give you more advise on thanking the spurs off in the tree. Some times I do and sometimes I don’t. It sure saves a lot of trouble just leaving them on. I think like climbing, if you leave them on often enough, after a while you get used to them being there.

The only reason I dont take them off now is because it has that old leather and buckle...which isn't very flexible. I have to wrestle with it to get it tight on the ground...and its metal so it can make a little bit of noise. So I havent tried to mess with them once I get up in. I plan to buy nylon webbing and a strap like G2 recommends on his Spur mod video. That'll make it easier.

The only reason I dont take them off now is because it has that old leather and buckle...which isn't very flexible. I have to wrestle with it to get it tight on the ground...and its metal so it can make a little bit of noise. So I havent tried to mess with them once I get up in. I plan to buy nylon webbing and a strap like G2 recommends on his Spur mod video. That'll make it easier.

Well I modded mine this way when I got them over a year ago. That absolutely makes them better to work with but it’s still a pain in the .... doing it in a tree.

Pretty awesome how quiet you can be! The last two years i've climbed with spurs and set up on bedded bucks that were less than 50 yards away. I don't feel I could ever do that with a stand.

It can be done but every little clank makes you rear end pucker up! The buck on the left in my profile pic was bedded about 50 yards a away when I climbed up in a modded summit viper sd. I had 30 doe grazing about 100 yards away on the other side of me. I set up in between and when he got up to get after the doe he went right under me. 6 yard shot. That was the hunt where I decided to ditch the climber for a saddle! I had 3 moments where I made a little clank and had to stay put and pucker up lol!

Back