• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Swing Off

Maustypsu

I did some testing of free swinging in a few saddles.

I hooked up my tether to monkey bars and attached to my normal bridge.
I tried to flip myself out of the saddle back wards to see if I would slip from the belts.
I took a running leap and tried to slam all my weight down at once.
And generally, I was playing around with different adjustments.
I was also curious if I removed any hip pinch and set them like a swing (literally used two ropes and ropemen on a swing set. This lets the two ropes fall naturally outside of my hips and turns a saddle into a swing. Not sure I would want to lose the 360 degree advantage of a saddle. But I figure this is basically the maximum comfort level that I can expect...

Results... the Ken sling wins for comfort hands down. I am not smart enough to understand how that one middle strap doesn't do all the work. But it doesn't. If there are any of these out there that people don't want, please let me know via PM. I will give you what you have in it.

The sit drag, can definitely take a fall. I tried to wear that thing out. But all I could wear on was the cheap tether strap that give you. Will be shown in pics below.

The testing ground...

e81a101f26728ec921065b2725e51461.jpg

A pic of me trying to fall out backwards...

d6f3d0a620ceab40e651cee7770ca89e.jpg

The wear I put on the cheap tether from my sit drag...
This was from the running and jumping start. I had to wrap the tether around the monkey bars to get it to a height that I could "fall from". This spot is where it hung down and took all the weight of me running and jumping. Not a stitch out of place on the seat itself.

244d726d7db451622e3dafa4b6c713db.jpg

Haha nice!! I kind of did the same in mine tethered off to a tree. I flipped completely upside down, swung side to side with my legs parallel to the ground and never came anywhere near falling out of it. I think the worst thing that would happen if you slipped off your platform is you might swing around and bump your hip off the tree before stopping. I feel very safe in it!

That's funny. Yeah, I have tried fall out of all mine, too (except the sit drag to which I haven't added a belt) and never felt like I could fall out under any real world situation.
P.s.
As an adult, I still like monkey bars. Mostly for pull ups though

flinginairos said:
Haha nice!! I kind of did the same in mine tethered off to a tree. I flipped completely upside down, swung side to side with my legs parallel to the ground and never came anywhere near falling out of it. I think the worst thing that would happen if you slipped off your platform is you might swing around and bump your hip off the tree before stopping. I feel very safe in it!

I am more worried about falling and swinging hard enough to jam a step into my guts. If I were to go for the "Ropeman Drop" so far that I lost my balance and extended my tether length, I think that could happen. But I could also get killed in a car accident on the way to the hunt...

Maustypsu said:
flinginairos said:

I am more worried about falling and swinging hard enough to jam a step into my guts. If I were to go for the "Ropeman Drop" so far that I lost my balance and extended my tether length, I think that could happen. But I could also get killed in a car accident on the way to the hunt...

Possible i'm sure. I just try to pay attention to what I am doing and minimize the risks as much as I can and not worry about it too much. Lots of ways to "check out" and if my times comes while out hunting I guess i'll go doing what I love :lol:

Re: RE: Re: Saddle Swing Off

flinginairos said:
Maustypsu said:
flinginairos said:

Possible i'm sure. I just try to pay attention to what I am doing and minimize the risks as much as I can and not worry about it too much. Lots of ways to "check out" and if my times comes while out hunting I guess i'll go doing what I love :lol:
Mausty, I have nightmares (well bad daydreams anyway) of doing exactly that. I could see slipping and having a step stab me in the torso, or stick in my eye, or my leg. That would ruin my whole day for sure.
Flingin , as far as going out doing something I love, I suppose that'd be ok. But I'd rather it happen when I'm 126.
Plus, with my luck, I wouldn't die. I'd be stuck in the tree bleeding until the guys at work noticed I hadn't been there or called anyone for a few days. If it happened on a weekend, I might die of dehydration before anyone knew I was missing. Because there's no way I'd fall within reach of cell phone or water

Wow. I have a new worst fear... dehydrating while hanging for 3 days by my eye in a tree. Thanks for that thought an hour before bed... Keep your nightmares to yourself... :***: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maustypsu said:
Wow. I have a new worst fear... dehydrating while hanging for 3 days by my eye in a tree. Thanks for that thought an hour before bed... Keep your nightmares to yourself... :***: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously bro! Keep that bad juju out of the universe! And wear safety goggles! :D :D :D

Hey guys ive been away for awhile, its 3d season and ive been killin a bunch of foam. When I started reading this post first thing that came to mind is "I hope he isn't doing this in the Ken saddle". :lol: its built tough, but seriously bro dont hurt yourself playing/ testing.

Back