• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle use in Hang-on

tracker12

Does anyone use their saddle while hunting out of a hang-on. I normally use my RCH. Not sure how I would connect to my tether while turning my back to the tree.

Does anyone use their saddle while hunting out of a hang-on. I normally use my RCH. Not sure how I would connect to my tether while turning my back to the tree.
There are multiple threads on this already, but in the interest of expediency, yes, lots of people use this combo. Don’t put your back to the tree though, face it just as you would on a platform or ROS, and tether in normally. If the hang-on has a seat cushion, switch it to the underside of the seat, flip the seat up against the tree, and you can use the cushion as a knee rest while sitting in your saddle. The only thing you can’t get away with is true side-pressure, but the real estate of a standard hang-on should negate the need to use side-pressure anyway.

There are multiple threads on this already, but in the interest of expediency, yes, lots of people use this combo. Don’t put your back to the tree though, face it just as you would on a platform or ROS, and tether in normally. If the hang-on has a seat cushion, switch it to the underside of the seat, flip the seat up against the tree, and you can use the cushion as a knee rest while sitting in your saddle. The only thing you can’t get away with is true side-pressure, but the real estate of a standard hang-on should negate the need to use side-pressure anyway.
Couldn't have said it any better!!!

using a saddle with lock-on as a replacement for my tree spider harness is how I started in saddle hunting. After some testing at ground level I determined using a ratchet strap as close to the bottom of my platform was worth doing.

I haven't used my lock-on's in many years tho, saddle platforms do everything I need.

I thought the point of using your hang on was to go from sitting to standing? Your saying to only use it like a platform and face the tree?
For me, the point is just to use what I already have in the garage and not waste money lol. Plus it’s convenient to o have a few normal stands set throughout the property if you have friends who don’t use a saddle. The old Anderson slings featured both orientations on the packaging, facing and back-to, using a standard lock-on or ladder. Your saddle is quite literally a tree seat, so you don’t need to use the treestand seat as a seat, freeing it up as a knee cushion. I guess you could theoretically saddle in back-to the tree, but I can’t speak to the safety of this. One of the upsides to using a saddle over something like a HSS harness is that your fall is always being prevented/restrained, versus “arrested”. So if you tether in normally and just use the treestand as a big-ass platform, you’re safer than you would be with a harness due to the zero-to-little slack system and you have the benefits of facing the tree for camo, but you have all the benefits of the hang-on’s size and you can add slack to the system to turn truly 360 degrees. Like @deerfly said, I still prefer a trophyline platform, but when I encounter a friend’s ladder stand or one of my old lone wolf stands, I can just hook in normally.

safety tip: install your tether above the stand, then unhook LB and re-hook above stand platform, so you don’t have to let all that rope out to slide LB over the platform and you’re never unattached either.

I’ve connected to the backside of the RCH with a safety line when there’s adequate webbing to hook to. But only for a short line attachment, wouldn’t want to gain much momentum before catching lol. I think part of how we all use these things is also based on comfort level and user strength and ability. I’ve seen guys do things I’d never try and I’ve heard comments on things I do that others wouldn’t attempt..

Search “hybrid setup” or lwcg .5 with saddle, etc. I switch between using stand like a platform and sitting like a traditional hang on (spin counter clockwise, tether underneath right side when seated).

Let me clarify. When I am in my Hang-on I want to sit in the seat and shoot out in front of me. Im not saddle hunting in this set-up. I currently use a RCH and run my Beal Dyna Glide under my right arm to my tether. Looking for connection points or ways to use the saddle instead of the RCH.

I went way down a rabbit hole the last 2 seasons with this my takeaways were that a saddle is best utilized with a platform or ROS or combination of both which is my preference. A stand is best used as a stand. I found ZERO merit in meshing the two systems. This is after about 75 days of hunting last year and about 90 days this year YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went way down a rabbit hole the last 2 seasons with this my takeaways were that a saddle is best utilized with a platform or ROS or combination of both which is my preference. A stand is best used as a stand. I found ZERO merit in meshing the two systems. This is after about 75 days of hunting last year and about 90 days this year YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am just the opposite and why I am moving back to stand. Where I do a lot of my hunting more times than not there are extremely limited tree choices that work for any particular spot. A lot of times the right tree for the spot just doesnt set up well for platform use due to where limbs are on the tree relative to where the deer movement will be but they set up great for a stand. I seldom sit for more than 5-10 minutes whether in a saddle or on a stand so that aspect is not the deciding factor for me. While my mission is big enough to turn for a weak side shot, it isnt big enough to set up like a stand on the front side of a tree and hunt comfortably. The other area I do most of the rest of my hunting there are no shortage of good trees in most spots so the platform works great there. Just depends on the area or areas you hunt I suppose.

I like my setup for stand hunting using the rock harness and dynamic 8.4mm rope tether and prusic knot works great on a .5 Screenshot_20221231-185743_Chrome.jpg

Let me clarify. When I am in my Hang-on I want to sit in the seat and shoot out in front of me. Im not saddle hunting in this set-up. I currently use a RCH and run my Beal Dyna Glide under my right arm to my tether. Looking for connection points or ways to use the saddle instead of the RCH.
Just put you tether on your non shooting shoulder and sit down. I do it all the time. Get this I even do it on my mission platform.

You might be interested in the XOP hybrid harness/saddle. You also might do some research into chest/belay harnesses to route your tether through.

What rope is that?

And what rope did you use for the prusic?
REI and EWO prusic the rope is 8.5 dynamic prusic is 8mm you really need 11mm rope and 8mm prusic but I'm not using as life support just adjusts my tether. I twist 8 times really tight. Use at your own risk!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230105-062132_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230105-062132_Chrome.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20230105-060838_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230105-060838_Chrome.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20230105-062615_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230105-062615_Chrome.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back