• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

saddle webbing

jbrow340

Do any of you use anything to treat the webbing on your tree saddle?

When I started saddle hunting someone told me that you could rub paraffin wax in the webbing to extend the life. I can't remember who told me, but I think it came from someone at trophyline.

I dunno... I've never heard of that.

What I have read is that dirt in textiles acts as an abrasive, cutting or weakening individual fibers. I would think anything that traps dirt would speed that process up.

I've never heard of arborists, rock climbers, etc using paraffin for that purpose. I would be wary, and I just try to keep my aero hunter clean.

boone0 said:
I dunno... I've never heard of that.

What I have read is that dirt in textiles acts as an abrasive, cutting or weakening individual fibers. I would think anything that traps dirt would speed that process up.

I've never heard of arborists, rock climbers, etc using paraffin for that purpose. I would be wary, and I just try to keep my aero hunter clean.

I believe it keeps the webbing from drying out. As the tree saddle aged the webbing started to dry up and fray a bit.

Another thought is that the wax helps lubricate the webbing so that the hardware doesn't wear it out as quickly as if it were 'dry'.
Lots of friction with the hardware.

Thanks for the reply I've been hunting out of a saddle for years I'm not to worried about my evo. I pulled my son's saddle out the other day because he said he might be home for Christmas (over seas in the army) everything looks good just wandered if there was anything people did to preserve the straps thanks again

Back