• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddling Big/Heavy guy

Sempertodd

Hello, I have noticed that there are questions around weight and size of saddle's for Big men, which are totally valid and a responsible hunter I expect would ask. So, I thought being a Heavy guy, might provide some of my experience's, as my concerns was like many of you. First, let me share with you my stats, as I am old, short, stocky, broad hipped (gals love that) guy.
AGE- 53 (mind 21) Height- 5'6.5" (1/2" means a lot) Weight- 300# (unless holidays), Manly pant Size- 50", Disabilities- Both knee's have been replaced, Weapon of choice- Longbow. Experience- Bowhunting 30 years/Saddle 3 years.

Now, there is one aspect that is not often talked about, that I feel come's into the equation. I am a former Marine (hence the name), I had the chance to do rappelling and rock climbing, in the Corps. Bottom line, I understand and comfortable with the rope and rigging. If you have not done any of these, let me assure you, everything that you will buy will more than support your weight. Mountaineers, Rock Climbers, Military have been using these methods for long time. One other big advantage of a saddle that is over looked is that it can and will support any guy who can safely climb a tree, unlike tree stands that have weight restrictions.

The way that you want to ascend a tree is personal preference of course. I have tried just about everything on the market, and since I only hunt public land, I love to use my Wildedge Stepps. I can get to 20" with 10 steps, as the designer intended, I can get both feet on them at same height which is imperative if have bad or new knees.
Currently I am using a Tactisaddle made for me by John Tucker, which I like. I have not had any issue with hip pinch (which by the way is combo of your waist and how you ride the saddle). I have not had any issue with being able to draw my longbow which is 66". I use a ring of steps (WEI), and have not issue with moving around, I do prefer a Ropeman 1 on Tether and lineman's belt, for easier adjustment. The longest I have sat in a Saddle hunting has only been 9 hours (yes you can pee out of a saddle). I have knee pads for sitting, which I prefer, though I have leaned for one hunt for 4 hours with no issue.

Comfort- As long as it "fits" you, you shall be fine. If in doubt if a saddle can be comfortable for long sit, do this. Go to a park or back yard, and sit in a swing, now as you sit there find an angle and play with transferring weight all to the swing then feet. It is even closer mimicked if you can find a swing that is suspended from one rope/chain as this is closer to the saddle feel. Next, if you can try a friend saddle, that is the best thing, but with the swing, you can get the idea a little.

I ordered a Treehopper Recon saddle from Mark, in large (shhh, wife don't know), I will try this one out as well, since it is designed for let's say "manly hip" guys.

Again, my intention is to easy the concern that Big/Broad/Heavy guys have, as I am one. If you have any questions that I can answer, I am more than willing. I plan on sliding in a Big guy review of the Recon after trying it.

Keep your String Waxed!

I got the Treehopper Recon in the Mail from Mark (super quick and nice guy). I had just enough time to take it out, look it over, and try it on pole, as hunting season is in. I had mark send me the large. I got it set up and sat in it for just 30 minutes, to test and see how it felt and any issues. I could not find any, and to me it was quit nice and more comfy than other saddles used. I will plan on hunting out of it this coming weekend, since cannot during the week with work and time change. I can tell you this, looking it over, the stitching is incredible, and can really see great craftsmanship. More to follow...

I too am a.... "healthy" boy. I just ordered a Recon from Mark today. After half an hour on the phone, I ordered one. I plan on using the LW hand climber.

SemperTodd, it's threads like this that help a lot. I didn't know that they had saddles that fit people over 40" waist.

I got the Treehopper Recon in the Mail from Mark (super quick and nice guy). I had just enough time to take it out, look it over, and try it on pole, as hunting season is in. I had mark send me the large. I got it set up and sat in it for just 30 minutes, to test and see how it felt and any issues. I could not find any, and to me it was quit nice and more comfy than other saddles used. I will plan on hunting out of it this coming weekend, since cannot during the week with work and time change. I can tell you this, looking it over, the stitching is incredible, and can really see great craftsmanship. More to follow...

When did you interact with Mark? I ordered bolts and the drill Nov 1 and never received a confirmation email or any communication from him regarding the order?

Sent him an email Nov 2, no response. Sent second email Nov 5, no response. Sent a Paypal message yesterday due to the ZERO communication despite my credit card being charged Nov 1 and again, no response? I see nothing but positive reviews and good things being said about Mark and Treehopper stuff here on the forum which is why i was so dumbfounded by the lack of response or even a confirmation he received my order????

Does he not send shipping info? I realize a small company but ive never not even received an email with an order # or a confirmation the order was received?

Thank you, yes there are few companies that make a saddle for over 40" waist, I believe Aerohunter makes one up to 47" and the biggest is Treehopper Recon Large.

Interacting with Mark- I had similar issue with emailing Mark. Finally, as a last ditch effort, I went to the contact page on his website and called the number, he picked up within 3 rings. He has been swamped with so many orders he apologized. We talked for about total of 6 minutes, he had my order and I got it within 4 days (better than some votes). CALL the PHONE NUMBER.

Thank you, yes there are few companies that make a saddle for over 40" waist, I believe Aerohunter makes one up to 47" and the biggest is Treehopper Recon Large.

Interacting with Mark- I had similar issue with emailing Mark. Finally, as a last ditch effort, I went to the contact page on his website and called the number, he picked up within 3 rings. He has been swamped with so many orders he apologized. We talked for about total of 6 minutes, he had my order and I got it within 4 days (better than some votes). CALL the PHONE NUMBER.

I’ll give him a call Monday before i have to file a case with Paypal and see if he can make it right.

Im a pretty forgiving guy and totally understand being busy but I placed the order last Sunday so to not hear a thing an entire week later is really pushing it for me when ya got my money already if ya catch my drift.

Appreciate the response man. Best of luck to ya. The heat in WI has them moving after dark so pretty slow week. Hopefully next week it will cool off and get some more daylight movement.

another "Big guy" question... been thinking about using a ropeman 1 on my tether with the prussic as a back up. Do you thing the weigh of 290lbs on a ropeman 1 would dig into the tether too much, with that kind of weight?

I’ll give him a call Monday before i have to file a case with Paypal and see if he can make it right.

Im a pretty forgiving guy and totally understand being busy but I placed the order last Sunday so to not hear a thing an entire week later is really pushing it for me when ya got my money already if ya catch my drift.

Appreciate the response man. Best of luck to ya. The heat in WI has them moving after dark so pretty slow week. Hopefully next week it will cool off and get some more daylight movement.

Just an update, Mark with Treehopper LLC sent the bolts/drill without any communication/tracking/confirmation of order. Received it on Nov. 13, 12 days after I ordered it.

Great he did eventually send it would have been nice to at least get a confirmation that he had the order or any kind of communication at all. I will say the bolts and drill seem awesome and cant wait to really put them to use. SO much more compact than sticks or even the Cranford EZY climb rope steps I was using.

Last edited:
another "Big guy" question... been thinking about using a ropeman 1 on my tether with the prussic as a back up. Do you thing the weigh of 290lbs on a ropeman 1 would dig into the tether too much, with that kind of weight?

At 240 i ditched my Ropeman. Just too much "unknown" and honestly it ended up being just another piece of metal i would find a way to clank my bow or a stick against in the dark or at a bad time, like having to move my bow over my tether with a buck in range!

I went back to my old tried and true Prussik with an amsteel loop tender on my linemans belt and nothing but a Prussik on my tether. I see no reason for a tender or a Ropeman on my tether as i rarely adjust it after im set up and the Prussik moves well enough for getting set up. The amsteel tender allows one handed operation on a linemans just like the ropeman would.

Thats my 2 cents on Ropemans.

I have used ropeman 1 for long time with no issue, but did back it up with a distel hitch, never an issue. This year been using oplex from wildedge, no issue with one hand adjustment. Only readon is less metal

Update: I know this is well after season, but I wanted update this with some things that I tried and used in December and January. Here in Illinois the season slows way down after 2nd shotgun season in December. Which gives a bowhunter a lot of play time with what we do. With my Treehopper Recon sling (saddle), I began experimenting with one sticking. I had a set of muddy outdoors sticks and I took one in and played around with it, to analyze the effect of this method as can be seen on UTube- Stagg outdoors. I still love using my Wildedge Stepps especially on place can leave them up, but with about 20 set up's, I have come to following conclusions for myself some may want to know:

The one stick method for me, requires much less effort, once you get your technique down.
The one stick method does take little more time, I found for me, but only few minutes which makes it minimal.
Using the "rappel rope" as tether saves time and less gear to carry.
I found that using an ATC device combined with a distell hitch back up, was very controlled and pleasant to abseil.
Packing in and clean up after down was quick and easiest ever used.

One added bonus, on two hunts as I was coming down some Does began coming in. I stopped my rappel, to see how they reacted. The first time, they had no clue I was there, until I began to pull my bow up, then bolted, seeing it (no surprise there). The second time, I was able to get my bow up, but they had moved off casually.

I to Sempertodd friend am a robust fellow, 5' 8" 280lbs butt naked. Be 64 in march. Been bowhunting only since 1981. Started trad hunting 4yrs ago. My 4th year saddle hunting, 44" waist. I to have had hipp and both knees replaced due to a climbing tree stand accident christmas morning 09. I use a kestrel saddle size 2 and a ropeman 1 on tether. I also use a 16 pack of wildedge stepps,14 up and 1 on each side as a platform. I shoot a 62" longbow. Sounds we have a lot in common.

Back