• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Safeguard, grigri, birdie

kenn1320

I'm back, been out of the scene for awhile. I never stopped using a saddle, just got my gear sorted and faded away. I stopped in recently and noticed the one stick method with a twist, rappelling. So the safeguard seems to be the latest device, but what about the cheaper ones like the grigri or cheaper yet beal birdie? Also whats the rope of choice nowadays?

Grigri+ is 2x the price of a safeguard. I'm doing srt so tuffleburger platinum is the rope I'm using.

@bj139 I think has mentioned having a number of those options. Hopefully he'll weight in...

Grigri is "the standard"

Safeguard is the one that is specifically springless for instant engagement/rigging. Also the lightest. The most "saddlehuntingy"

Beal is cheap and looks cool.

I bought the Beal Birdie from a member here. It has always worked well. It is all stainless steel, I believe. It has always stopped the rope on a quick pull. Here is a video I made on several devices. I started collecting them. I got a Gri Gri 2 first, then Lifeguard, then Safeguard, then Birdie, then Trango Cinch. They all work about the same. A quick pull on the rope stops it's movement and releasing rope pressure enables the spring to pop the device open a bit to feed rope through except on the Safeguard. I would feel comfortable using any of them. On a quick fall they are designed to stop you. I have 99.5% confidence in the ones I have used. The Lifeguard was a bit disconcerting at first until I realized a quick pull will activate it.
Here is a video where I tried a few of them on 8.5mm dynamic rope.

Last edited:
I'm back, been out of the scene for awhile. I never stopped using a saddle, just got my gear sorted and faded away. I stopped in recently and noticed the one stick method with a twist, rappelling. So the safeguard seems to be the latest device, but what about the cheaper ones like the grigri or cheaper yet beal birdie? Also whats the rope of choice nowadays?

@kenn1320 -

Hardware device: To me, the Madrock Safeguard is the way to go. I've done my share of rock climbing and the Petzl Grigri (and variants) are excellent performers, but they're noticeably bulkier and heavier than the Safeguard. Same goes for the Beal Birdie -> if you're trying to keep it low bulk and lightweight, avoid the Birdie. They're all satisfactory performers, so it's a tradeoff between cost, size, and weight.

Rope: I know there are plenty of people using Safeguards with 8mm Sterling Oplux. For me, I prefer to keep the rope within the manufacturer's spec for climbing use. Although Oplux meets the Safeguard's spec for "rigging" purposes, it is smaller than specified for "climbing" purposes.

Depending on my climbing method, I'm either using 9mm Sterling C-IV Canyon rope or 10.5mm Teufelberger Platinum rope. If climbing with sticks, I rappel with the 9mm C-IV Canyon rope. If climbing SRT, I'm climbing and rappelling with the 10.5mm Teufelberger Platinum rope.

I use a grigri 2 and I have no complaints. Bought it because it was available locally and I am very happy with it. Rappells smooth aF and it always locks up when its supposed to.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have heard through the grapevine that the grigri is easiest for newbies. I am working on my srting a little each morning. There's definitely a learning curve but don't worry any issue you have, we have amazing people like @bj139 here that can answer a slew of questions.

Back