• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

safety lines on established trees?

Tom Karrow

I have always used a full safety line on trees that I have stands in so I am attached from the ground up, and back down. Once I have a stand in place, I put the rope in and secure it the bottom of the tree so I simply slide my prussic up as I ascend and down for descending.

Going to a saddle... does anyone use a similar safety line on sets where they perhaps use and leave screw in steps? If so, can that same safety line not also be used as a tree rope to attach your bridge when saddle hunting?

Also a while back, there was talk of attaching your prussic even when using a ropeman. This I assume is done if the ropeman fails? Where is the prussic attached IF this is done? One of the things I love about the ropeman is how easilly line can be pulled through it for one handed quick adjustments. If I attached the prussic to the same carabiner, al of those benefits would be one as prussics should not slide so smoothly...

Thanks guys... going to saddle hunt for the first time today!

Tom

Tom, you can use your life line as a tether as long as it is climbing rated. (Ground length tether) It's actually a good way to stay connected at all times without having to switch over to a regular tether at hunting height. I contacted the makers of the life line to see if this was safe, they wouldn't tell me the make of rope they use, but they said it was safe to use for that purpose. That was a red flag for me so I ordered rope from Treestuff and made my own. That way I know for a fact what it's rated for and who made it.

The safest Prusik/Ropeman config is to have your Prusik above the Ropeman. If your ROpeman were to slide down into the prusik, you would stop but now your Ropeman is jammed into it. If the Ropeman somehow damaged the rope, the prusik above it is better.

You can keep it pretty loose. the bummer about that setup is that the Ropeman allows you to run a very short tether if you want to....having a Prusik above it messes that up.

If I am using a standard tether, I just backup clip the end of the tether to my harness. It takes a 4kn fall for the Ropeman 1 to start to damage the rope sheath. You can't make a 4kn fall without climbing up over your tether. But if your Ropeman decided to slip, you would be stopped by a good stopper knot, but being clipped in would be WAY less scary.

Back