• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saying hello and with questions

Anobody

SH Member
Just anobody looking to get into this saddle hunting. I just sold my stand a sticks and I'm starting fresh in 2016. I've been having back issue and thought for hunting public and mobility and stealth this would be a good system. Look forward to meeting everyone and picking brains

Welcome to the site!
I have back issues as well. I hate sitting in chairs and most days I can't sit long before it starts to bother me or my sciatica kicks in. I can hang in my saddle all day without any issues and it doesn't bother my back at all. I could never sit in tree stands again with my back.

As far as mobility and stealth there is no better option. With a saddle and sticks/spurs/climbing rope/tree steps you can get up in any tree. Hope this helps and you decide to stick around :cool:

Anobody said:
Just anobody looking to get into this saddle hunting. I just sold my stand a sticks and I'm starting fresh in 2016. I've been having back issue and thought for hunting public and mobility and stealth this would be a good system. Look forward to meeting everyone and picking brains

Good luck with the transition. When you say back problems some folks will try to sell you on the Guido's Web. I like mine and am not bad-mouthing the product.

But I think more importantly than the back and lumbar support options that the web offers is - the way you position yourself in the tree. I'm new at this but that seems to be what makes or breaks comfort no matter how I adjust my straps. Position yourself "above" the tree - I mean such that you are on the high side and gravity is pulling you into the tree. Also, make sure you can lean forward and even 'rest' on your lead.

This year my old back is starting to act up. I have only been able to make sits in climbers, ladders, hangs ons last about 3 hours max before I have to get down. I have swung in my web for way longer without any soreness at all. But I have also had uncomfortable sits in the web, when I didn't set up in the tree properly.

Just a new guy's perspective. It definitely gets mentioned on this site but I didn't make it a priority until I learned for myself.

Sup' Nobody,

I had back surgery in June of 2015 and was able to sit multiple times this fall with no issues.

The tips from Mausty are excellent pieces of advice. I'd make sure that you know every adjustment on saddle, how it affects the way you feel, and thoroughly experiment at "ground level". Tie off to a tree close to the ground and really make sure everything feels as perfect as possible before hunting 20+ feet high.

Saddle hunting has completely changed the way I hunt. Hope it does the same for you!

Dave

Back