• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Scent Smoker

justsomedude

Any one tried it?
Lots of enthusiastic anecdotes and reviews around.

I borrowed a smoker from a Beekeeper friend.
Haven't seen any Deer yet, but I can enjoy my campfire odor in the meantime :)

Trying it this year. Saw 3 does yesterday but they didn't get downwind of me. They heard something in the cornfield behind me that they didn't like, but didn't seem to notice me being there. Smoked my saddle yesterday but haven't used it yet.

I had a sent smoker for years but never tried it. I'm going hunting Tue. for the rest of the week so I just smoked everything today. I'll let you guys know how it goes but I'm a little skeptical. Figure it cant hurt :roll:

Started using one this year - the only deer I have seen wouldn't have smelled me anyway so no proof there.

My brother started this year, too - he had an old, long-nosed doe come in with swirling winds. She knew something wasn't quite normal and was very nervous, but still came in to within 15 yards and got herself arrowed. Would she have stuck around and did the same without smoke? Who knows... But it is hard to kill those wary old does and she didn't run off and blow a million times like they usually do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew13 said:
Started using one this year - the only deer I have seen wouldn't have smelled me anyway so no proof there.

My brother started this year, too - he had an old, long-nosed doe come in with swirling winds. She knew something wasn't quite normal and was very nervous, but still came in to within 15 yards and got herself arrowed. Would she have stuck around and did the same without smoke? Who knows... But it is hard to kill those wary old does and she didn't run off and blow a million times like they usually do...

Exactly what happened to me. Winds were swirling some but she never blew and ran off.

I, like many of you, have a ThermaCell for bugs. However, once the bugs go away in fall, I replace the bug pad with a piece of folded over tee shirt. To that i apply deer scent and activate the unit. The warmth of the unit really spreads the scent. I like to hang it up off of the ground, about chest high, for best dispersion.

I had a doe come in close the day I smoked my clothes but I was firmly downwind so no 'test'.
I enjoyed my smell though.

wstrayer said:
I, like many of you, have a ThermaCell for bugs. However, once the bugs go away in fall, I replace the bug pad with a piece of folded over tee shirt. To that i apply deer scent and activate the unit. The warmth of the unit really spreads the scent. I like to hang it up off of the ground, about chest high, for best dispersion.

What scent are you using? Do you have luck with this?

Do you guys have any more info/experience with the scent smoker now that the season has been underway for awhile? It sounds like a good idea, and having a fireplace in my house I totally understand the concept, but I'm on the fence whether to try it or not. Thanks, Mike

I have a scent smoker I've been using for the first time this season. The deer still smell you and know something is different. The difference is they don't blow out of there like they normally would after smelling human scent. I've had some deer smell the smoke and get nervous and move out cautiously, and I've had others act like they didn't mind at all. I've not seen one blow and stomp around like they've done when I wasn't using the scent smoker. I think it definitely works. I'm going to keep using it.

Ive had the scent smoker for my guess would be about five years. Im telling you guys I have tried EVERYTHING I thought stood a chance. Dont ever smoke a face mask, it will choke you out. I never had what I could consider negative reactions but I never had one either when I thought I got away with murder.

The wind does really funny things, it should be a topic every hunter studies and never quits studying because the influence on it in different areas is crazy. Thermals, chimney effects, on shore off shore breezes, flowing water, saddles, powerlines, pines... theres always something different happening. Milkweed seeds really help tell a story when you think you might be beating a deer.

Im convinced part of the reason John doesnt have as many wind problems is he goes ultra high, no matter how you cut it 30' is up there and the wind is much more steady at that height, that was one thing I loved about a climber. About the only time there wouldnt be an advantage up high is in dead calm days.

I really dont believe you can beat a deer in the scent stream, ground scent probably scent stream no way. Go set a smoke bomb off in the woods now that season is over, do it at the bottom of a hill, do it at the top. Create a smoky fire and stand up wind, what happens? It eddies and blows it back in your face.

So, this thread just gave me a great idea. I havent used this scent smoker in at least three years, but now im thinking I can use it to study wind... YAY :D

Maybe you should try a battery operated bubble blower with scent free soap

Sounds like a good idea too. I use milkweed pods constantly, motherload on this mountain

jlh42581 said:
So, this thread just gave me a great idea. I havent used this scent smoker in at least three years, but now im thinking I can use it to study wind... YAY :D
Nice!

fawnzy said:
Maybe you should try a battery operated bubble blower with scent free soap

:lol: :lol:

The "Scent Smoker" is really just a bee smoker. They recommend that you use hardwood wood chips in it because that smoke is supposed to contain more anti-bacterial chemicals so it not only kills your body-odor causing bacteria but is a cover scent too. That is the theory, at least...

Oak and hickory chips are most favored from my reading.

Hope that helps...

I think we should quit using the term scent elimination and start using the term scent reduction. To me it is all about scent saturation. Every time we step into the woods we leave residual scent. I think we all agree that if a deer downwind picks up any fresh scent we are busted. But we also need to understand that over the majority of the US deer pick up human scent every day. They adapt and learn to react based on scent saturation. So to me, my goal is to reduce scent to a level where the deer believes it is non threatening (i.e. they think it is older then what it is or I am further away then what I am0. To me every little bit helps. Since I really started focusing on only hunting spots where I can get into and out of with out leaving a bunch of ground scent or being seen or heard my success has went up. I also know that scent lock suits have helped reduce my ground scent and I believe a lot of my air borne scent. My time in the tree tells me this is true. I have a wood smoker and I think it helps but truth is I seldom use it. Why? Because it is an odor I am bringing into the woods. And the last thing I will add is that no matter how clean I am, how great my approach, or what I am wearing, I still ALWAYS pay attention to wind. I have enough trees prepped to where I don't have to hunt a stand on a wrong wind - just stacks the deck more in my favor. However, I also know that if an area is hot, or if the wind shifts at the wrong morning, that the added precautions I employ on scent control or dang sure not going to hurt me.... in fact I know at times they have got me opportunities that would have never happened otherwise. SO whatever scent reduction technique you employ, if you believe it helps and your time in the stand bears that theory out.... then DO IT! No matter what your Read on the internet, or what even an expert says, nothing replaces YOUR OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. Be a good student and you will see what does or does not work where you hunt.

Back