• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

ScentLok clothing/Sawyers permethrin

Pj0230

Does anyone have any information on using permethrin on ScentLok clothing, good or bad idea?
I was thinking of treating my outer layers with permethrin and when they dried throwing them back in the dryer to help recharge them.
Does anyone know if the clothes would retain an odor.
Any help would be great.

Does anyone have any information on using permethrin on ScentLok clothing, good or bad idea?
I was thinking of treating my outer layers with permethrin and when they dried throwing them back in the dryer to help recharge them.
Does anyone know if the clothes would retain an odor.
Any help would be great.
Sawyer's dries scent free. I did it last year and I'll repeat it this year, just like you described.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Do you know if it reduces the effectiveness of the scentLok clothing

Scent lok worked just fine for me after I treated it with permethrin. One treatment is supposed to be good for 6 weeks, that's just about my whole season until it gets cold where I live. I had no problems with bugs or deer winding me.
I had a small 6 point walk nearly up to me, from downwind, scent checking all the way. Got within 10y before catching me move (already decided to let him grow, was trying to get his picture). On the same sit, a doe went nearly 360 around my tree without spooking.
Even if it affects the clothes a little bit, I'm still going to do it. I still play the wind even though using scent lok, and it's worth not being attacked by mosquitoes or ticks.

If I remember correctly they suggested not to do it??

John Eberhart asked awhile back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is correct. Not recommended. Did it anyway, didn't notice a problem.

I was talking with John about it and he has not used it and does not know what effect it would have on the clothing.

Scent lok worked just fine for me after I treated it with permethrin. One treatment is supposed to be good for 6 weeks, that's just about my whole season until it gets cold where I live. I had no problems with bugs or deer winding me.
I had a small 6 point walk nearly up to me, from downwind, scent checking all the way. Got within 10y before catching me move (already decided to let him grow, was trying to get his picture). On the same sit, a doe went nearly 360 around my tree without spooking.
Even if it affects the clothes a little bit, I'm still going to do it. I still play the wind even though using scent lok, and it's worth not being attacked by mosquitoes or ticks.

I will use it, rather pay for new clothing than have to live with lyme disease

One of the clothing companies (which I cant remember the name right now) will treat clothes that you send them...your clothes...with a permethrin treatment that will last over 50 washings, which is far more than a Scentlok garment will last. These commercial treatments have NO permethrin odor to the human nose, but can anyone really say if deer can smell the stuff? IDK, but if they smell the permethrin, they may not associate it with humans. I contend that there are thousands of unnatural odors which are non threatening to deer that deer smell every day of their lives. They live among chemical odors constantly.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

One of the clothing companies (which I cant remember the name right now) will treat clothes that you send them...your clothes...with a permethrin treatment that will last over 50 washings, which is far more than a Scentlok garment will last. These commercial treatments have NO permethrin odor to the human nose, but can anyone really say if deer can smell the stuff? IDK, but if they smell the permethrin, they may not associate it with humans. I contend that there are thousands of unnatural odors which are non threatening to deer that deer smell every day of their lives. They live among chemical odors constantly.

Just remembered the clothing mfgr that will treat your clothes...Insect Shield. They charge by the pound. Not sure how they are doing it but they say their permethrin treatment lasts 70 washings, but the stuff we spray on (like the Sawyer brand or concentrate we mix) only lasts 6 weeks.
I also don't know what effect the Insect Shield treatment would have on carbon, but I do know its better than being bitten by a tick carrying Lymes disease.

I was hesitant to spray the Sawyers directly on my scentlok but after getting treated for Lyme's two years ago I decided I needed to do something. I compromised and treated my camo jeans and long sleeve t-shirts that I wear under my scentlok. I'm typically walking in wearing just those base layers anyway so I'm hoping that provides the best the best of both worlds as far as protection goes. Hopefully any ticks that I pick up on the scentlok won't crawl down into the treated clothes.

Folks all I will say is that defeating ticks is 1000 times more important then trying to fool a deer's nose. All it takes is to see one case of advanced lymes disease to change your mind. No deer is worth taking that risk.

So, Mattsteg’s link got me thinking and I decided to talk with the folks at ScentLok for their take and or update on what was mentioned in Mattsteg’s link.
They tell me that “Their general rule of thumb” is not to use any sprays on clothing, and that they have not done any testing with permethrin on their clothing, however they say that in speaking with hunters who have used permethrin on their gear that they felt there was no negative effect on the technology.
They also mentioned that if I was to treat my clothing with Permethrim, let it dry then wash it and also reactivate it in the dryer prior to use.

For me, this is good news.

Lyme disease is bad but it is much more treatable than "Alpha Gal" which is an anaphylactic type reaction that lone star ticks transmit, which leads to not being able to eat red meat of any kind. There are a couple of different sub types of this disease and with one you can have wild game only, but you must be tested to see if this applies to you. There is no know cure or tx. for this but to avoid red meat to include beef, pork, lamb, chicken (sometimes) and wild game (sometimes). One type of the sub group will not allow you to eat any animal protein at all and you are stuck with fish the rest of your life:(

I know this thread is a little old but I thought I would add something I noticed last year. A lot of people think they are protected from Ticks once the weather dips down into the 30s-40s for a few days. I noticed ticks on deer I killed in late December. Granted i live in TX, but we had seen several weeks in the 30's at that point. It led me to believe that the ticks that have found a host/ warm spot on an animal can survive these temps unlike the ones without a host. Just my observation. Im super paranoid to get Lyme or the Lone Star tick disease that makes you allergic to meat, so i continue to treat my clothes all season.

I know this thread is a little old but I thought I would add something I noticed last year. A lot of people think they are protected from Ticks once the weather dips down into the 30s-40s for a few days. I noticed ticks on deer I killed in late December. Granted i live in TX, but we had seen several weeks in the 30's at that point. It led me to believe that the ticks that have found a host/ warm spot on an animal can survive these temps unlike the ones without a host. Just my observation. Im super paranoid to get Lyme or the Lone Star tick disease that makes you allergic to meat, so i continue to treat my clothes all season.
Several years ago I help a neighbor track a wounded deer for 3 hours in November. The temp was 37. During those 3 hours, I counted the ticks that I picked off myself...FIFTY EIGHT!
Something else I continue to find baffling....those ticks were within 400 yards of my 31 acre property. In the 34 years I've owned and worked my land, Ive NEVER picked a single tick off of me, my wife, any friends, or dogs that came from my property. The critters that inhabit the land surrounding mine travel to and fro on a daily basis. My property has prime tick habitat yet we've never had a tick on us from within our acreage. Why?

To add to this It warmed up to the low 40's a couple of days in February this year and I picked two ticks off of me after a short trip into the woods.

Back