• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Scouting Southwest VA Mountains

Reedler

SH Member
I plan on hunting some National Forest land in SWVA this year, and I was wondering if there are any old heads on the forum that could give a few tips or past experiences. This'll be my first time off of private land that I know very well, so my main issue will be scouting for potential bedding areas. I want to get out and hunt some new places, but I really don't know where to start.

I plan on hunting some National Forest land in SWVA this year, and I was wondering if there are any old heads on the forum that could give a few tips or past experiences. This'll be my first time off of private land that I know very well, so my main issue will be scouting for potential bedding areas. I want to get out and hunt some new places, but I really don't know where to start.
A good place to ask would be the VA Public land hunters and fishermen group on FB if you have it. Seems to be a pretty active group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2610002772566495/?ref=share

Yes... I'm in Carroll County. Never hunted in Scott though.

There’s a few places down this way on the Jefferson National Forest that I’d like to hit this year. I want to head up 81 and hunt some NF land towards Whytheville as well, but I don’t if that’ll happen this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s a few places down this way on the Jefferson National Forest that I’d like to hit this year. I want to head up 81 and hunt some NF land towards Whytheville as well, but I don’t if that’ll happen this year.

I've hunted a couple times in Wythe on public. Saw a few deer but never really put the boot leather to work scouting like I should have. I basically just picked a spot and hunted what sign I saw on my way in.

@bowhuntr09 posted a great link. Also hit up the archery talk section pertaining to VA and The hunting beast sections. I'm from Northern Virginia but have hunted down that way and also hunt Warren and Clark counties. The main thing I'd worry about is running into guys that have hunted the area for years and think it's "their" spot and "their" land.
It's mountainous out that way so get a good pair of good fitting boots and break them in well before hunting season. As for hunting mountains and slopes all the usual rules apply ie look for saddles, benches, transition areas, South facing slopes, fruit bearing and nut bearing trees, etc. I won't repeat others as there's good tutorials. Look up Dan Infalts stuff.
And remember the number one rule. Don't talk about fight club! If you find a hot spot or good sign for gawds sake keep it to yourself!

Hey @Reedler , I live in Buchanan County. I hunt Buchanan, DI ckenson and Scott counties. I hunt a few of the other National Forest counties around too.

Todd Perkins
-Regional Prostaff Manager for Mossy Oak
-Trophyline Treesaddle Brand Ambassador
-Arcus Hunting Field Staff member

Hey @Reedler , I live in Buchanan County. I hunt Buchanan, DI ckenson and Scott counties. I hunt a few of the other National Forest counties around too.

Todd Perkins
-Regional Prostaff Manager for Mossy Oak
-Trophyline Treesaddle Brand Ambassador
-Arcus Hunting Field Staff member

Awesome! I’m in Scott County. I’ve found a few spots I’d like to check out when the season rolls in on some National Forest land in Wise county as well. I’m just really looking forward to hunting some new places this year.

Awesome! I’m in Scott County. I’ve found a few spots I’d like to check out when the season rolls in on some National Forest land in Wise county as well. I’m just really looking forward to hunting some new places this year.

Just happen to stumble across this old thread. How did your 2020 season turn out? Did you hit any totally new NF lane? I’m here in SW Va also, and hunt some public land in the Pulaski, Montgomery, and Wythe County areas. Though I’ve wanted to venture down to the old coal mines to see what I can track down, but just haven’t made it happen yet.

I'm in SWVA, basically Botetourt, Montgomery and Glassgow area. I switched to public land about 3 years ago and have really enjoyed myself.

What I see around here is hunt the pre and post ruts. When peak is in so are the crowds. The first couple of days of black powder and the deer will be scattered.

@bowhuntr09 I appreciate the FB link.

Back