• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Scouting thoughts

Walk the transition lines. Try to find the high spots. Check bowls and oxbows. I'd try to find some way to get on the islands, as well.

Can you give some more insight? Where are the boundaries? Is the little trail the only access point? Elevation changes or flat swamp?

I’ve tried some of the islands but to thick have to cut trails to get on them

Well where would you hide if someone was trying to kill you? how much pressure is in the area?

Can you give some more insight? Where are the boundaries? Is the little trail the only access point? Elevation changes or flat swamp?
The only boundary is a leave across back of swamp. Only access is by boat. That trail is old you can't travel the leave any more.

Looks like a great spot for kayak/canoe access from the main road instead of driving down that trail which I'm guessing is most people's first move, that would give you a different approach than the deer are used to seeing which puts you ahead of the game from the start, you also wouldn't "burn" the area as quickly since you could access scent free via the water. The area where the bayou/river makes a "T" I imagine concentrates traffic in some fashion and the small lake looking thing just to the West of that has a great looking point on the West shore where deer could bed on pretty much any wind other than E just by adjusting their position on it. They'd probably have their back to the water if they're anything like the ones up here in Mi

Hard to tell from a photo but I agree with the others to start walking transition lines and to access via water if possible.

there is no shortcut
create a grid break the area into several small areas and walk each one completely
I cyberscout and lately what I thought looks good the deer are showing me different from their travel patterns
great looking area with lot's of potential, but nothing beats boots on the ground with a systematic approach

there is no shortcut
create a grid break the area into several small areas and walk each one completely
I cyberscout and lately what I thought looks good the deer are showing me different from their travel patterns
great looking area with lot's of potential, but nothing beats boots on the ground with a systematic approach
I agree with this. If those woods are open hard woods you'll probably find most sign around the swamp edges but the woods are thick you can't replace boots on the ground. It looks like an awesome area with lots of potential!

I'd focus in the top right corner to start, where all those oxbows create bedding opps with security close to the food? to the east.
Access up the levee, also there might be a beaver dam crossing right above the angle in the field

Back