• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Screamer attachment

Gary330

SH Member
Is it safe to attach my x-draw directly to my distel hitch or prussic on one side? I've been practicing one sticking and am getting comfortable with climbing and rappelling overall but I am introducing more slack into the tether on the way up than comfortable with. I have the cassin x-draw and would like to put it in my system for a little extra assurance.

I think a picture of your proposed setup would probably help folks figure out if it would be safe.

If you use a lineman’s rope too your feet are on a stick or in an aider when you have slack in your tether. Is that any different than just climbing with sticks. And when you are moving your stick you have no tether slack.
I wonder if we worry too much about this if you use your lineman’s belt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am having trouble attaching a picture. File is too big. I attached a pic from an old classifieds post. I have a cassin x-draw (energy absorber) and it is attached to my bridge with a caribiner on one end and it is attached to the tether with a prussik loop that i have tied thru the other end of the x-draw. I wasn't sure if this is okay becuase i have seen posts in the past where people were connecting their energy absorbing devices using a small shackle.
1599438401222.png

Id probably get a petzl ring open or some kind of climb rated shackle to eliminate the rope on webbing connection.

So the rope on webbing is a bad thing...? I thought it was bad also but I don't know why it is.

Yeah, dyneema webbing doesnt handle rope friction very well, it would probably be fine, but why risk it?

Here's a post in an old thread that provides a photo of an attachment using a small load-rated shackle by DMM climbing equipment, and a screamer. If Tapatalk doesn't take you straight to it, click the link and scroll to post #38 for the photo.

People use soft shackles instead of carabiners and have fiber on fiber connections.
I have many fiber on fiber connections and don't feel unsafe.

Thanks for the replies. I think even a fiber on fiber connection would be safer than not having a screamer in my tether line but I am going to try to find a shackle or ring that will work.

Thanks for the replies. I think even a fiber on fiber connection would be safer than not having a screamer in my tether line but I am going to try to find a shackle or ring that will work.
I use this for any semi-permanent connection. It's tiny. Capture.JPG

You could put a piece of tubing on the rope to cushion it. As a downside, it might hide any damage.

People use soft shackles instead of carabiners and have fiber on fiber connections.
I have many fiber on fiber connections and don't feel unsafe.
I am fairly new to the other hunting options besides stands, saddles ect. and I have often wondered, without asking, how you got the rappelling rope down from the tree when after rappelling back to ground. Thanks for the random picture that enlightened me.....lol!!

Signed,
Rookie Saddle Hunter

I am fairly new to the other hunting options besides stands, saddles ect. and I have often wondered, without asking, how you got the rappelling rope down from the tree when after rappelling back to ground. Thanks for the random picture that enlightened me.....lol!!

Signed,
Rookie Saddle Hunter
I use my bow pull up rope (Paracord) and clip one end of it just behind the quick link on my tether. After rapelling down it has not been a problem to pull the tether loose enough with the paracord that it just falls down the tree.

Back