• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Screw-in Strap-on

Schwonkhead

As someone who is just starting to get into the saddle world (just research stage right now) I wanted to ask all of the veterans their preference for climbing.
I currently hunt 100% on private land with no restrictions. Given that would you mess around with strap-on sticks/steps, or preset your trees with screw in steps or spikes? I’m leaning toward screw-in or spikes, just want some other opinions.

I would pre drill bolts in 3 or 4 areas, morning evening, wind direction, and have a quick climbing method you are comfortable with. I used to have 3 lock on stands at my uncles, and a climber before I moved and could only hit public.

Bolts are cheap, solid, easy, and light. If you want to strap 4 sticks to 2 or 3 different trees and drop $200-$500 go for it, but the same set of bolts and 1 stick plus reppel gear will get you further.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

1st choice is bolts. If you plan to do presets, use a cordless drill. If run and gun hunting, use a Treehopper drill. Bolts are the most packable, and economical method in the "step" category.
2nd choice would be a quality screw-in step. Cranford EZ Climb are the best but they are a little pricey.
Don't waste your money (and sweat to install them) on junk, one-piece screw-in steps.

I would pre drill bolts in 3 or 4 areas, morning evening, wind direction, and have a quick climbing method you are comfortable with. I used to have 3 lock on stands at my uncles, and a climber before I moved and could only hit public.

Bolts are cheap, solid, easy, and light. If you want to strap 4 sticks to 2 or 3 different trees and drop $200-$500 go for it, but the same set of bolts and 1 stick plus reppel gear will get you further.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
I definitely wouldn’t be presenting with sticks. I also know I could set about 20 trees with dolts for the price of a set of sticks. I was just curious what everyone’s preference is if they have the choice.

Bolts. Bolts. Bolts. I use 14 per setup. 10 to climb up and 4 in a cross pattern as my platform. Cordless drill with a treehoppee bit. Put your first one in at knee height and measure using your elbow to your finger tips for spacing. Once you get the hang of it you can setup a tree in no time. I sit in my saddle and have zero comfort issues with my feet on bolts for an all day sit.

I went down the rabbit hole of pre-set paracord loops this year, I figure about $6 a set right now. Takes a bit of work , but once the loop is up and ready to go it seems promising. I will not depend exclusively on pre-set loops, but will run a mix of pre-sets and one-sticking.

Also -admittedly I clicked on your thread BECAUSE of the title :laughing:

Bolts. Bolts. Bolts. I use 14 per setup. 10 to climb up and 4 in a cross pattern as my platform. Cordless drill with a treehoppee bit. Put your first one in at knee height and measure using your elbow to your finger tips for spacing. Once you get the hang of it you can setup a tree in no time. I sit in my saddle and have zero comfort issues with my feet on bolts for an all day sit.
That is pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Thanks.

Back