• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Screw it, I'm going back to the whisker biscuit

thedutchtouch

SH Member
I've been trying off and on all summer to get my new bow set up with a drop away rest, and I keep getting fletching contact on the rest. I am 100% sure I am doing something wrong, still figuring this all out on my own, and sure that this is a fixable problem, but season has begun and in the interest of hunting with this bow this year... I'm taking the whisker biscuit off my old bear cruzer bow and bolting it on the elite omnia tonight. The heck with it, I want to hunt deer under 35 yards, and that will get it done. No point having this fancy bow and not using it.

Also seeking advice for how to set up the drop away (qad) correctly next summer lol.

I've been trying off and on all summer to get my new bow set up with a drop away rest, and I keep getting fletching contact on the rest. I am 100% sure I am doing something wrong, still figuring this all out on my own, and sure that this is a fixable problem, but season has begun and in the interest of hunting with this bow this year... I'm taking the whisker biscuit off my old bear cruzer bow and bolting it on the elite omnia tonight. The heck with it, I want to hunt deer under 35 yards, and that will get it done. No point having this fancy bow and not using it.

Also seeking advice for how to set up the drop away (qad) correctly next summer lol.
Do what gives you confidence. That’s all that matters. Good luck!!

Thank you both, I've just felt silly getting this fancy speed bow and then not taking full advantage, but that's more me needing to get over the ego/assumptions and going back to the WB is embracing what works. I still want to figure the drop away out next year but time to get back to trying to put holes in deer.

Thank you both, I've just felt silly getting this fancy speed bow and then not taking full advantage, but that's more me needing to get over the ego/assumptions and going back to the WB is embracing what works. I still want to figure the drop away out next year but time to get back to trying to put holes in deer.
Hunting has a unique way of purging only but the most pragmatic and efficient parts of our kit for us doesn’t it?

Well FML looks like the old WB is seized in the bear bow so it ain't coming off. Perhaps I'm buying a new WB for the omnia lol. Perhaps the penetrating oil will work and I'll get it off tomorrow

I shoot a V3X 33 with a whisker biscuit.

That’s informative. Did you win in Vegas?

Right, that’s a poor comment, Maybe add something of value?
I took it as "don't be afraid of slapping a WB on a "fancy new bow"" which addresses my "overcoming ego" sentiment, so relatively on point. Regardless, I've ordered a new Wab and will put it on tomorrow and take the bow to the range to start fine tuning me shooting it instead of fiddling with components

I took it as "don't be afraid of slapping a WB on a "fancy new bow"" which addresses my "overcoming ego" sentiment, so relatively on point. Regardless, I've ordered a new Wab and will put it on tomorrow and take the bow to the range to start fine tuning me shooting it instead of fiddling with components

I guess I just didn’t see how the VX3 33X and Elite Omnia were exactly the same, nor you as shooters. Keep us over @kyler1945 ’s 50%

2 VX3 33’s in classifieds now.
I don't feel like I really know what I'm talking about in general about bows but can attest that this bow buying process made me understand a bit why so many people hate on the Mathews grip. It was my least favorite of all the bows I shot and a pretty easy one to rule out. Bowtech was the only brand I every once in a while look back and wonder about given how close the bows were...

How hard can setting up one dropaway be? Bolt on, attach the cord on the limb, throw away the original adjuster and tie a blakes hitch on the cord. Go shoot. Takes almost 15 minutes in total.

I don't feel like I really know what I'm talking about in general about bows but can attest that this bow buying process made me understand a bit why so many people hate on the Mathews grip. It was my least favorite of all the bows I shot and a pretty easy one to rule out. Bowtech was the only brand I every once in a while look back and wonder about given how close the bows were...
There’s a reason Levi Morgan, Chris Bee and probably several others immediately remove the Mathew’s stock grip and either shoot the bare riser or utilize an aftermarket grip like the Ultra View. Of course, Chris Bee has a financial and/or ownership interest in UltraView so that could be the other reason.

I shoot a WB on my Ventum Pro 33…

On the wrong side of the bow.

I shoot a QAD, and set the last one up myself on the new bow (miracle, lol) and it was pretty easy. That said, nothing wrong with a WB. Pretty simple and not much to go wrong. You might give up 3 to 5 fps going to it but that is nothing.

How hard can setting up one dropaway be? Bolt on, attach the cord on the limb, throw away the original adjuster and tie a blakes hitch on the cord. Go shoot. Takes almost 15 minutes in total.
I believe he said it was a QAD which is not limb driven style. He has to get it timed using the cables.

I agree the Hamskea limb driven rests are great and so easy even I can’t really mess them up.

WB will be just fine as long as you use a nice firm vane that will recover from the contact quickly.

Back