• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Second saddle sit, first real encounter

judd1980

A little background, I’m on my second year of hunting and first year of saddle hunting.

My property abuts around a thousand acres of open land that is closed to hunting.

I have two bucks on my cams and have had them on camera over the last two years, one six point and an eight.

This morning I walked back to a spot with two active scrapes and when I arrived at my tree, about 20 yards away, a buck started snort wheezing at me and was going pretty nuts. He thrashed around, wheezed and snorted and it last for about five minutes. I nearly crapped my pants. Ha.

I got setup and about an hour later he walked under my tree and checked his scrapes. It was too dark and an ethical shot wasn’t gonna happen.

Towards the end of my sit also had a doe pass by but too far for a clean shot.

I left my platform and sticks up and intend on hitting it again, possibly tomorrow.

Should I give the area more time before I hit it again?

Thanks for the knowledge!

Attachments

• 2B718837-E23B-4EF7-BE6F-1C8C6353D2A8.jpeg
    2B718837-E23B-4EF7-BE6F-1C8C6353D2A8.jpeg
    390.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 1848865E-B3F5-4CCC-9827-9B13CB0CFAC5.jpeg
    1848865E-B3F5-4CCC-9827-9B13CB0CFAC5.jpeg
    389.9 KB · Views: 51
No, go back as soon as you can! Sounds like he wants to defend that area. And if the does are there, it gives him and other bucks a reason to stick around

No, go back as soon as you can! Sounds like he wants to defend that area. And if the does are there, it gives him and other bucks a reason to stick around

There are definitely does around. I put in a food plot about 75 yards from this spot and had six does in it for over an hour last night. He was not happy with my presence, that was for sure. He was PISSED. :flushed:

Back