• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Secondary bridge knots

Marmuzz

Looking for some advice on knots for a secondary bridge. I have a Tethrd Mantis and am considering adding a 8-10mm static line bridge either for redundancy to the existing Amsteel, or as a short bridge for one-sticking/rappelling. (I’m not removing the existing Amsteel but I’m not that interested in splicing another Amsteel bridge.)

What I can’t seem to work out is the closing knot:
1. Tie overhand loop in rope
2. Bring overhand loop around left side saddle bridge loop, and pass tag end of rope through the overhand loop (girth hitch)
3. Tie a stopper knot in tag end of rope
4. ...what kind of knot to tie to secure tag end of rope to right side saddle bridge loop??

Been scouring the threads but not finding it. Any advice or suggestions on alternative setups would be appreciated!

I super easy alternative is 24-36 inches of webbing and 1 or 2 HD sliders....less than 20 bucks and can easily be adjusted or totally removed
EWO got u covered

To make that, (thinking aloud) you have to tie an overhand on a bight in the webbing, girth the webbing around one bridge loop via the overhand loop, then girth hitch the webbing tag end around opposite bridge loop, and then bring the tag into the slider. Next sew/tie a stopper on the tag end of the webbing after the slider.
But if you pull it tight doesn’t that slider loosen up under tension?

I make mine with 2 sliders. No knots needed. It has to be unloaded to adjust. Go thru the buckle leaving a long tag end. Tag end goes thru bridge loop and then back thru the buckle

Seems like a good low cost option. Some possible cons though in my mind:
1. By adding the slider aren’t you adding a metal surface for the carabiner to clank against? Do you silence that with tape, stealth strips, etc.?
2. The MBS with some of the ropes EWO sells (OpLux, Resc Tech, 5/16” Ultra Tech at 5,000-6,000) is much higher than webbing (4,000). I’m not saying webbing is unsafe but the greater strength of rope seems more comforting.
3. Doesn’t the flat surface of the webbing want to twist and not roll as nicely as round rope when moving in the saddle?

The slider is metal and could potentially make noise...I wrap them in vet tape.

Yeah...I'm sure there is stronger rope

I started with a webbing bridge, switched to amsteel, and back and forth a couple times. I prefer webbing but I think it is just personal preference whichever u choose. I have not tried a rope bridge so I can't compare...I never felt the need to try the rope. IMO webbing slides thru the biner just fine

I am wondering if a clove hitch on the non-girthed bridge loop would work as long as the clove is dressed neatly so the stopper knot meets both of the clove loops and can’t pass through. I’m thinking a good zip tie or something like that could help keep it all in place together so it doesn’t loosen up when unloaded.

Looking for some advice on knots for a secondary bridge. I have a Tethrd Mantis and am considering adding a 8-10mm static line bridge either for redundancy to the existing Amsteel, or as a short bridge for one-sticking/rappelling. (I’m not removing the existing Amsteel but I’m not that interested in splicing another Amsteel bridge.)

What I can’t seem to work out is the closing knot:
1. Tie overhand loop in rope
2. Bring overhand loop around left side saddle bridge loop, and pass tag end of rope through the overhand loop (girth hitch)
3. Tie a stopper knot in tag end of rope
4. ...what kind of knot to tie to secure tag end of rope to right side saddle bridge loop??

Been scouring the threads but not finding it. Any advice or suggestions on alternative setups would be appreciated!

you can do the same knot to the other side

if you use follow through method

basically tie and overhand in just one section of rope

tag end and trace girth hitch around saddle loopa

take that end and trace inside existing overhand to make it on a bight (loop)

So is that basically a Figure 8 Follow-Through with a tag tie-off? (I think that’s what climbers use to secure the rope to their harness.) Sorry if that’s obvious- I’d like to look up the knot by name to make sure I’m tying it right.

Scaffold, Anchor Bend, Buntline, Bowline, etc., many eye, and cinching eye knots. I prefer the Scaffold.

I'm not exactly sure what a triad is....the loop size can be set to whatever u like.. Small tight loop or big 1s... Whatever u prefer

So is that basically a Figure 8 Follow-Through with a tag tie-off? (I think that’s what climbers use to secure the rope to their harness.) Sorry if that’s obvious- I’d like to look up the knot by name to make sure I’m tying it right.

Pretty much. You can do a figure 8 follow through or an overhand follow through. It is the same concept but you just start with either an 8 shape or a simple overhand. You had mentioned overhand before, so I just went with that. Both knots are strong enough, with figure 8 supposedly somewhat stronger. The figure 8 is easier to untie after being weighted but is larger.

Like this....

Thanks! Are you able to cinch the buckle tight enough on the bridge loops to stay in place? For the ability to adjust pressure point on the lower and or upper portion of the saddle?...Similar to a prusik style bridge attachment?....sorry for the hI-jack

Back