• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Seek thermal compact xr

The sensors on those are TINY. That means detection and resolution at distances is poor. And, it would drain your battery very quickly running that thing non stop.
I’m only personally okay using thermal for pigs, since they are essentially considered vermin in my state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently bought the FLIR tk scout. I have lost two deer prior to this purchase at night and was fed up. Night vision would be useless so i went the thermal route. So far I have been happy with my purchase. Have not used it on a tracking job but i have used it to walk in the woods in the morning scanning before i get in the area. If i see a deer or signature i stop and wait for it to move on so I don’t bust them out!!

I recently bought the FLIR tk scout. I have lost two deer prior to this purchase at night and was fed up. Night vision would be useless so i went the thermal route. So far I have been happy with my purchase. Have not used it on a tracking job but i have used it to walk in the woods in the morning scanning before i get in the area. If i see a deer or signature i stop and wait for it to move on so I don’t bust them out!!

Yup I wondered about the tracking too. I shot at a buck this year No blood I grid searched for two hours and assumed I hit a branch. It would be nice for that. Or scouting. Your thermal unit is costly though

I use a lot of thermal and night vision for work, we use it for night surveys and shoots. We use thermal for identifying a heat signature and then use NV in front of the rifle scope to shoot. I don't see a huge application for them in deer hunting, about the only thing I can think is using for recovery, scanning the woods for a heat signature. This is not 100% either, if your looking in a place with a lot of brush or in a field it doesn't help much.

Thanks,
Boswell

Being color blind I always wanted thermals for blood trailing but wasn’t sure what to get. So I got a dog. Lol
But I’d love to hog hunt with it.

Being color blind I always wanted thermals for blood trailing but wasn’t sure what to get. So I got a dog. Lol
But I’d love to hog hunt with it.

We can’t use dogs for blood trailing. Regulations. They would rather feed the coyotes or they are worried about us hunting with a dog, yet I seldom carry a weapon when tracking. I put it back in my truck -

Last edited:
We can’t use dogs for blood trailing. Regulations.

I HATE this law, Its our responsibility as sportsman to make every attempt to recover an animal we have shot. So with that said, there is no law that says you can not walk your dog, in an area you hunt. I would rather fight this in a court than to risk loosing and animal. I am too am color blind, so I have a dog. Thermal won't help with blood trailing, it looses heat to fast.

Thanks,
Boswell

I HATE this law, Its our responsibility as sportsman to make every attempt to recover an animal we have shot. So with that said, there is no law that says you can not walk your dog, in an area you hunt. I would rather fight this in a court than to risk loosing and animal. I am too am color blind, so I have a dog. Thermal won't help with blood trailing, it looses heat to fast.

Thanks,
Boswell
Last year I tracked a friends deer for probably 2 miles through swamp. But we lost the trail and grid searched the next morning. I am sure his deer was nearby that night but we could not see it. That is where a dog or thermal might work. Dogs make sense but I won't take the chance no matter how dumb it is.

We can’t use dogs for blood trailing. Regulations. They would rather feed the coyotes or they are worried about us hunting with a dog, yet I seldom carry a weapon when tracking. I put it back in my truck -

Are you sure about that. We use dogs in wmu 54 to push deer.
I have a friend who tracks lost deer with dogs. I’ve even read about him online as a recommendation to recovering deer.

Are you sure about that. We use dogs in wmu 54 to push deer.
I have a friend who tracks lost deer with dogs. I’ve even read about him online as a recommendation to recovering deer.

Depends on the zone. If your zone has no hunting with dogs. Then you can’t use dogs to track. In your zone if you can push deer with dogs you can use dogs to track

As @Boudreaux pointed out in his earlier post there are limitations to thermal and NV. Blood will probably lose its heat signature within 15-30mins. The carcass will hold its heat longer so that will be the target when scanning. Thick brush will also lessened your ability as well. I figured this was my best option to recover lost game so i went with it.

@Ontariofarmer my unit is a pricey item but has a better processor than the seek unit. I also went with the flir brand because it has been in the business for quite awhile and is reputable. Not much on the market is cheap by any means so weigh the options i guess. I actually am having good luck with my unit thankfully and know it will serve me well moving forward.

Just perfect and keep practicing shooting and out wont need it. I noticed some people in hunting industry are really pushing these gadgets and trinkets that we dont need. Its marketing. They are paid to review them or push them
And im not saying any certain person here is pushing them. Leave the gadgets we see on tv at home we dont need them

Thanks,
Boswell

In Texas, it is pretty iffy on tracking dogs. They are allowed to be used to recover a dead animal, but the wording is ambiguous enough that it is technically a violation to put the dog on the trail if the animal is wounded but still alive. If it is still alive, It is considered taking game with the aid of dogs. As if you could know for sure before getting to the animal....

Just perfect and keep practicing shooting and out wont need it. I noticed some people in hunting industry are really pushing these gadgets and trinkets that we dont need. Its marketing. They are paid to review them or push them
And im not saying any certain person here is pushing them. Leave the gadgets we see on tv at home we dont need them

I almost never watch TV. No cable in my entire life. So that is not an influence. Just wondering about the technology from people who have actually used them on this site

I shoot straight most of the time

Last edited:
Back