• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Seeking advise

NavyVet88'

SH Member
Looking to paint the carbon fiber riser on my Hoyt Defiant.
Looking to see if anyone else has tried ?
What preparations are required?
What type of primer and paint would last under all weather hunting conditions ?
Currently riser is black carbon finish.
Looking to reproduce the under amour Ridge Reaper pattern.
Any help is truly appreciated ! Thanks

Thanks for the response, I contacted Hoyt and they didn't recommend painting it either.
Since I am not the original owner there is no warranty to be concern of.
What about camo tape as an option ?

Lol, anyone who is a bow hunters has been busted by deer. The key is to have leased your arrow
1-2 seconds before you busted !

Some guys have used the spray on plastic dip. I bought my last bow that was done that way, got a smoken deal on it. Pealed it all off, repainted it with a custom blended color of Cerakote, haven’t looked back. that was an aluminum riser though.

It would probably look really cool with Stealth Strips if you took your time and applied them carefully using paper templates.

I'd imagine that the carbon fiber has an epoxy-like finish over it. If I was going to paint it I'd scuff that finish with sandpaper, taking care not to go through to the actual carbon fiber. Then prime and paint with whatever you believe in.

My experience is nothing DIY'ed is really going to be bulletproof. Shoot, I've messed up cerakote plenty. Manufacturer's camo finishes usually start to flake and chip within a season for me. I took pretty much all the camo off a Remington 700 stock in 5 years. Just friction, gun cleaner, and DEET.

You can use a bow, or keep it pretty.

Back