• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Self-filmed Saddle Hunts

Buck Rub Outdoors

Anybody on here self-film while hunting from a saddle? I started recording hunts a few years back and want to be sure I'll be able to do it effectively from a saddle as well. I am just worried the bridge could get in the way of swinging the camera.

Any information/opinions are appreciated.

Thanks and God Bless!

I use a short arm and put it about waist level so that it can go under my bridge and tether.
I was considering getting a shorter arm but was afraid that would take away my 360 degree shooting ability since I do my best to have the deer in the frame before I shoot. I'm going to check out your channel, I like to see how this stuff works in action. :D

I use a fourth arrow carbon arm and put it at face level so it can go over the bridge. Personal preference I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I go under the bridge no problem. I set mine at knee height when I am sitting against the tree.

I go under the bridge no problem. I set mine at knee height when I am sitting against the tree.

I just bought all the gear to start filming and really struggling to find my sweet spot. I have the Fourth Arrow Stiff Arm. Facing the tree I have been setting the base at 3:00 a little above knee height. Im having 2 issues:

I cannot swing the camera from the right side of the tree to the left side of the tree one handed because the camera wants to hit the tree. I can do it two handed by holding the bottom arm still while i swing the top arm i just know that in the heat of the moment my left hand should and will be preoccupied with my bow. And i dont really want to cut my top arm shorter. Do you happen to have a remedy for this?

The way i shoot the top shot I swing out to the left with my right foot pushing off the platform and my left knee against the side of the tree at 9:00. Well I obviously want the camera on the left side of the tree for that and my knee interferes with the camera. Any thoughts?

thanks

I just bought all the gear to start filming and really struggling to find my sweet spot. I have the Fourth Arrow Stiff Arm. Facing the tree I have been setting the base at 3:00 a little above knee height. Im having 2 issues:

I cannot swing the camera from the right side of the tree to the left side of the tree one handed because the camera wants to hit the tree. I can do it two handed by holding the bottom arm still while i swing the top arm i just know that in the heat of the moment my left hand should and will be preoccupied with my bow. And i dont really want to cut my top arm shorter. Do you happen to have a remedy for this?

The way i shoot the top shot I swing out to the left with my right foot pushing off the platform and my left knee against the side of the tree at 9:00. Well I obviously want the camera on the left side of the tree for that and my knee interferes with the camera. Any thoughts?

thanks

When I am moving my cam from left to right I just grab the fluid head handle and turn the camera so it will clear the tree. It might be a bigger camera than mine and makes it hit. Which one you running?

I've been slowly diy'ing a camera arm out of a metal(I think its aluminum) shower rod. The base is just a bent piece of the bigger sized shower rod screwed into a small wood block with a 90 bracket for support and rigidity. Then I insert the camera arm which is made from the smaller sized shower rod piece, and place a set screw in to lock into place. I have just one pivot point in the arm and then a cheap tripod pan head for maneuvering around. Im am still playing with my arm tensions, but it should work out just fine for what I need and it weighs like 2lbs maybe.... Im not too weight conscious. I can try and post some pictures later.

When I am moving my cam from left to right I just grab the fluid head handle and turn the camera so it will clear the tree. It might be a bigger camera than mine and makes it hit. Which one you running?

Im running the Sony AX53. i actually went with the Rode micro which doesnt stick out past the camera in order to give me more clearance. I watched Garrets video again this morning on Self Filming from the saddle and i saw him do the method you described. Turning the camera away then sliding it past. Im going to play around with it more this wknd. Im pumped. Just revived my old youtube channel. I havent posted any hunting/ fishing videos in over 3 years. Time to get back to the grind! "Obsessed with the Outdoors" is my channel if you want to check it out. Thanks for the reply

I use a fourth arrow carbon arm and put it at face level so it can go over the bridge. Personal preference I guess.

I am using the Muddy Outfitter camera arm, do you think going over the bridge would be the best solution for it as well? It is a pretty big arm.

I am using the Muddy Outfitter camera arm, do you think going over the bridge would be the best solution for it as well? It is a pretty big arm.

You gotta get in a tree and try it out and see if it works for you. I wouldn’t know about the muddy arm

You gotta get in a tree and try it out and see if it works for you. I wouldn’t know about the muddy arm

Thank you sir, and thanks for the videos. Congrats on that prehistoric doe, I think that's the oldest I've ever seen.

Im with flinginarrows. I'm right handed so cam is knee height right side. However I'm using a fourth arrow 3pc downjointed camera arm and have no trouble maneuvering it anywhere So the setup is a manfrotto ball head leveler a 501 fluid head a Cannon HFG30 and a rode videomic as well as a varizoom remote controller. saddle gear is Mantis with a predator platform.

where do you guys hang your pack? I have been hanging my pack just below my tether at head height at 3:00. Im planning on putting the camera base at knee height at 3:00. Does the pack interfere with the camera? I have the 4th arrow camera arm so i suppose i could hang it on the camera base but i feel like that would be too low for me to access stuff from it.

Heres my setup
ae3a1a930a2e035d226c1c7fdd1af955.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, I have my hands full just trying to get a shot off without spooking the deer. A tip of the hat to those that can film and still hunt effectively.

Back